Doxa reference number and papers
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Doxa reference number and papers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Doxa reference number and papers

eBay number 273004401019 (canít post links) the seller says itís from 1947, and on his ďoriginal papersĒ it does have the year 1947, but itís in another language so I have no clue what it says. But the reference number starts with 48 and from this forum I learned 1948 should be the date of manufacture. I asked the seller about it and he just doesnít know (must not come on this forum). Seller is in Poland.
    Any issues with the watch and his papers? Seems like a decent watch but I told him the price was too high.

Re: Doxa reference number and papers

Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-col...cAAOSwng9Zr7v9

I guess I wouldn't get so involved in a discussion about 1947 vs 1948, which seems like a relatively minor point. Like many of these watches from Polish sellers, this one is heavily "restored" and overpriced. This one is over-polished, re-plated, and with replaced hands (and probably crown).
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thank you. Thatís all I needed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately, it's really hard to find decent Doxa examples. The vast majority are chrome-plated, and the cases just didn't seem to hold up very well to wear and tear.
    mkws and Shum like this.

Got it, thatís helpful Iím not tied to Doxa specifically so I may drop them off the list. I liked the clean look of that watch though. Iím looking for a vintage watch or two or ten ha. But because I know nothing I am struggling. This site has been helpful though. The $500 and below market seems to be tricky though.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Unfortunately, it's really hard to find decent Doxa examples. The vast majority are chrome-plated, and the cases just didn't seem to hold up very well to wear and tear.
    Indeed. Doxa (or their case supplier) didn't do a good job with quality of the chrome plating in terms of durability.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

They made a couple of rose gold time only examples like mine shown here.
    badbackdan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ders View Post
    on his “original papers” it does have the year 1947, but it’s in another language so I have no clue what it says.
    The language of the document is Czech, quite obviously. It appears to be a warranty card. Well, to translate it directly, it's a "letter of warranty", or something like that.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ders View Post
    Got it, that’s helpful I’m not tied to Doxa specifically so I may drop them off the list. I liked the clean look of that watch though. I’m looking for a vintage watch or two or ten ha. But because I know nothing I am struggling. This site has been helpful though. The $500 and below market seems to be tricky though.
    Actually, that's a good budget. You should have no trouble finding a nice all-stainless vintage Swiss watch for $500. What are your criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Actually, that's a good budget. You should have no trouble finding a nice all-stainless vintage Swiss watch for $500. What are your criteria?
    Hmm, I appreciate the question and maybe this will help me narrow it down. The stainless steel is clearly the way to go. I have sort of been all over the place.

I would like a vintage chronograph, something like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-18k...MAAOSwY3daT-LN

If no link shows up: ebay item 142646718785
    I'm just using it as a reference, I would want stainless steel instead of gold but that's the general idea.

I don't need a brand name that I'm paying a premium for (especially since my budget doesn't go too far into that world anyway). I would rather have something less known that is still well made and that a collector would see and appreciate.

Also; just a simple watch along the lines of the Doxa above, but stainless and left alone.

I'm fine with the upkeep and going easy on it, and if it is less than $500, I will happily keep a few bucks in my pocket!

Side note on eBay: should I just do searches based on North America and skip the other countries? Or is there a chance to get a legitimate watch for a deal out there?
    Any guidance would be appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information