Drug Dealer Estate Sale
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Drug Dealer Estate Sale

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Drug Dealer Estate Sale

OK, its a long story to type but today I picked over a chest of around 150 watches.......most were just junk or broken but I did find some gems and I need some help with the age of some of them. The ones I picked all work except the Vulcain which is the only one that I picked that did not work. I know I have seen the name on this forum so I snagged it just in case. I usually deal in watches of this age but I usually dont deal in Timex, Waltham and rarely in Hamilton.

About the title of the thread: I was in my local watchmaker who had a customer telling him how his brother was murdered and had left him a huge pile of watches...when he asked where he could sell them, I raised my hand, took a chance and $35 later I have the ones you see below. Its a strange tale but true!! LOL

This is the one I really need help with. I only know the name from WUS. I dont need a $ value but I would like to know how old it is (I cant get the back off yet but I will try) and if it is worth restoring or just selling. I see now it is a Cricket (I wiped it off and changed to a better picture)

Name:  IMG_20150213_130931_788.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  271.7 KB

The others are still filthy, and I just wiped them off and set them and all but the tired old Timex on the upper right are running and keeping time so far.
    The Hamilton is a SS self winding.
    Name:  IMG_20150213_125015_774.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  424.7 KB

The Waltham is also SS but is an automatic and so is the funky Timex to its left.

Name:  IMG_20150213_124937_063.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  504.6 KB

And this one is easy since I buy and sell 10 a month.....a 74 6309
    Name:  IMG_20150213_125625_146.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  432.1 KB

The little gold Timex is self winding.
    Name:  IMG_20150213_124943_896.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  540.3 KB

Thank you in advance for the info and opinions offered.....especially on The Vulcain. Oh and also not pictured is a 77 Caravelle Dual Date Set-O-Matic that worked perfectly with a thrashed case but I needed the movement for another watch....Ray is already moving to my other case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Bodyblue; February 13th, 2015 at 22:11.
    MatthiasAnn likes this.

Re: Drug Dealer Estate Sale

That's a Vulcain Cricket, most likely from the 1950s or early 1960s. It's a wrist alarm, rather sought after in good, clean, working condition.

Unfortunately, the way your's looks it may have met with some water ingress - I don't think the movement looks much cleaner than the dial, so have it assessed by a pro who will tell you if and what can be done and at what cost. Note that spares are getting rare for those crickets.

The only other watch I'd have picked (honestly) is the Seiko 5 with the "blinds" dial. That one seems to need just som tlc and a nicer strap to become a sure beater again

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but then, at 35 quid you've at least not been ripped off

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Of the Vulcain I can't say much except that it's probably a Vulcain 401 Cricket Calendar movement- sub-second, alarm, date. Manufactured 1958-1963.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Vulcain 401 Cricket Calendar
    As to some of the other watches...
    The Seiko 5 is probably a mid to late 1980s model- there should be a serial on the caseback. The quartz Wenger... Wenger, as far as I know, belongs to Victorinox. 1990s, by the looks of it.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Of the Vulcain I can't say much except that it's probably a Vulcain 401 Cricket Calendar movement- sub-second, alarm, date. Manufactured 1958-1963.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Vulcain 401 Cricket Calendar
    As to some of the other watches...
    The Seiko 5 is probably a mid to late 1980s model- there should be a serial on the caseback. The quartz Wenger... Wenger, as far as I know, belongs to Victorinox. 1990s, by the looks of it.
    The Seiko is a 74 I believe but could be an 84 with the 6309 movement? I put a green band on the Wenger and it will be a quartz beater for me to wear. And thanks~!
    Last edited by Bodyblue; February 13th, 2015 at 22:24.

Banned

Here they all are after 30 minutes more of running. All are spot on so far. The tiny difference is just because I set them in a hurry and was not very precise.

I am always amazed how the cruddiest of old watches run sometimes.
    Name:  IMG_20150213_132809_808.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  521.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bodyblue View Post
    The Seiko is a 74 I believe but could be an 84 with the 6309 movement? I put a green band on the Wenger and it will be a quartz beater for me to wear. And thanks~!
    You're welcome :) I don't think it's a 6309- I own a Seiko 5 from 1983, with the 6309 movement, with the crown at 4 o'clock. Yours has the crown at 3. On the other hand, I am not certain of this theory- the movement number should be somewhere to the right of the hour marker at 6. If it has the day wheel in two languages, it might as well be a 6309...
    Bodyblue likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    You're welcome :) I don't think it's a 6309- I own a Seiko 5 from 1983, with the 6309 movement, with the crown at 4 o'clock. Yours has the crown at 3. On the other hand, I am not certain of this theory- the movement number should be somewhere to the right of the hour marker at 6. If it has the day wheel in two languages, it might as well be a 6309...
    Its a 6309-8920. I buy and sell a lot of Seiko 5s but sometimes units like this one can be kind of tricky to date.

Banned

I just happened to get another Russian Mil band from Ukraine today so it was perfect for the Wenger. This is my second quartz beater on a RM band and I love them.

Name:  IMG_20150213_142805_120.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  420.4 KB
    REDSWAN13 likes this.

In the case of my Seiko 5, I didn't really need to date it... My grandfather bought it while working for a subcontractor of Siemens, on a project of modernization of electric installations in Baghdad in 1983. He actually bought two- one for himself, one for my father. The serial number confirmed that the watch was bought the year it was made.
    Bodyblue likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Banned

After I got the Hamilton cleaned up (came out really nice) I found a cherry red very thin leather band (the watch is super slim) and VOILA! Instant St Valentine's day present for the watch loving wife!

Name:  IMG_20150213_150049_783.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  407.6 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information