Dual Sided Chronograph Pocket Watch? Totally Bizarre

Thread: Dual Sided Chronograph Pocket Watch? Totally Bizarre

Dual Sided Chronograph Pocket Watch? Totally Bizarre

Interesting pocket watch... does anybody know anything about this style of watch? What is just for showing off the chronograph function?

Swiss? Dual Sided Chronograph. Skeleton back. Approx 1900 vintage. No Reserve | eBay

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Dual Sided Chronograph Pocket Watch? Totally Bizarre

Quote Originally Posted by ddashoff699 View Post
    Interesting pocket watch... does anybody know anything about this style of watch? What is just for showing off the chronograph function?

Swiss? Dual Sided Chronograph. Skeleton back. Approx 1900 vintage. No Reserve | eBay
    I've seen these before. There's one in our local museum. Makes me wish there were more of them.

I don't think this layout is for showing off. Chronograph would have been an expensive option back in the day so it was intended for real use. Rather than clutter up the time-reading dial, the chronograph hand has been mounted on the back. These days we're used to dial clutter so we see things differently. The cutaway chrono dial would be to allow the fine adjustment of the movement without needing to remove the chrono hand. So really, this watch is all about pure function (in the design language of its day)
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Dual Sided Chronograph Pocket Watch? Totally Bizarre

Waltham's earliest chronos were set up this way also.

I suspect that this also makes them easier and less expensive to produce, since a hollow center pinion isn't required.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thread Information