Dubois 1785

Thread: Dubois 1785

Dubois 1785

Hi everybody,

I bought a nice little watch some days ago, named DUBOIS 1785. Does anybody has any information about this brand or this particular watch?

Thanx!

Re: Dubois 1785

DuBois is a very old Swiss firm founded in Le Locle in fact even earlier than 1785. However they made pocket watches and repeaters.
    I don't know much about their wrist watch production at all. Nor do I know if the maker of your watch is still that old firm or whether they have re-energized the brand in modern times. Perhaps one of our European experts knows more.
    Your watch has the style of a 1950s model but whether it's that old or not...:-S I think we need to see a picture the movement to hazard a guess.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Well, I am not very experienced with vintage watches, so I do not know how to open the bottom without damaging the housing...

The seller told me that this watch is actual from the 50s. I guess the trend of re-vamping old names is much newer - right?

Unfortunately, the watch is approx. 5 min behind per day. :(

Greetings from sunny Germany!
    Markus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well I think your watch is probably authentic then, but it will need a cleaning. A watchmaker should be able to tell you more about the movement as well.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

DuBois is nowadays rather higher-end than most. Very, very nice condition watch you have there, very clean dial. Enjoy it (but also have a watchmaker check on it!)

Dubois is now Dubois-Dépraz and were one of the first makers of automatic watches (Intramatic). Nowadays they tend to make modules for watches, such as the UTC module in the Sinn 900 or the repeater module for Nivrel (5 minute repeater), as well as chronograph modules for ETA 2893-2, which gives a thinner chronograph than a 7750. The Hublot Chrono Super B:1920 uses a chronograph module on a base ETA 2892-A2.

Quite nice!
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF
    Hi -

DuBois is nowadays rather higher-end than most. Very, very nice condition watch you have there, very clean dial. Enjoy it (but also have a watchmaker check on it!)

Dubois is now Dubois-Dépraz and were one of the first makers of automatic watches (Intramatic). Nowadays they tend to make modules for watches, such as the UTC module in the Sinn 900 or the repeater module for Nivrel (5 minute repeater), as well as chronograph modules for ETA 2893-2, which gives a thinner chronograph than a 7750. The Hublot Chrono Super B:1920 uses a chronograph module on a base ETA 2892-A2.

Quite nice!
    I don't think that Dubois 1785 have anything to do with Dubois-Depraz. The latter is just a movement adapter, not a watchmaker. I remember an article in "ArmbandUhren" with some chronographs reviewed, including a Dubois 1785 with Valjoux 7751 and it stated that the two have nothing to do with each other.

In Germany, Dubois 1785 does a lot of marketing by leaflet brochures in magazines, especially watch magazines like "ArmbandUhren" and "Chronos". That way, they can sell high-quality watches a little cheaper than the competition. Still, they can also be found in some shops.

Hartmut Richter

https://duboisfils.ch/en/collection

Dubois 1785 was resurrected as Dubois Et Fils in 2013 via crowd funding.

Its company history is interesting.

Its got the official title of "the oldest watch factory"!

Thread Information