Due Diligence Pays Off - For New Buyers
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By hyperhad
  • 2 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Due Diligence Pays Off - For New Buyers

Due Diligence Pays Off - For New Buyers

Hello All,

I have already learned a lot as a result of joining and being active on this site. I recently found a watch I was interested in for sale locally. It was not vintage, a RADO Sintra Chrono Quartz. I felt it was not old enough to belong on this forum, and was not sure where else I could place it for feedback on WUS. So, based upon daily advice to buyers of watches on the vintage forum, I proceeded to do my due diligence. The research took a few days, and some searching. The result was that I determined that the watch was a fake, and I saved the price, $275.00.

My point, I guess, is that despite the initial thrill of seeing a watch for a good price, one must take the time to do some research. Slow down and do some work before proceeding.

Perhaps this will help a newer member to make a smart buy, and not regret rushing into a purchase. I know it has been said many times, but it will nor hurt to say it again, as we constantly see newbies who just purchased a watch that turns out to be fafe.

This is what I did:

I was looking at a RADO watch that was for sale locally. The seller had no papers, box, warranty cards, or a receipt.

1. His explanation was "it was a gift". Who gives a new watch as a gift with no box or warranty cards, instruction manual, etc?

2. He said the quartz movement was Japanese, when RADO uses Swiss movements.

3. His pictures were just a bit out of focus.

4. He did not know the model number or serial number. I had to ask, and tell him where to look.

5. The sub-dial markings all looked wrong, not matching images of the watch from the RADO site.

6. Several emails with RADO CS ensued. The serial number was correct for the model, but they said that was not definitive proof it was authentic.

7. I googled the model images, and followed the links from watches that looked like the one for sale. They all led to replica watch sites in Russia.

8. I joined a RADO-specific site and posted pictures and info, and asked for opinions. All responses said to avoid the watch.

Armed with this information, I contacted the seller and told him that based upon my research, I felt the watch was a replica, and not a genuine RADO. I went on to tell him I was not accusing of trying to sell a fake watch, but that it just did not "check off" all of my requirements when buying a watch for a collection. I have had no response so far.

Hope this might help a newer member to make a smart buy, using due diligence and the expertise of WUS members where possible.
    busmatt, mkws and Henry Krinkle like this.

Re: Due Diligence Pays Off - For New Buyers

Good advice.

Matt
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Hi there,

well done. If newbies would do some 20% of your precautionary measures, most rip-offs wouldn't succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhad View Post
    ...I felt the watch was a replica
    Call it what it is, a bloody fake. A replica is a legal copy.

I have had no response so far.
    What a surprise

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    busmatt and Wibbs like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Are there any legal copies of watches? Not that I know of. "Replica" is simply a small diversification in vocabulary used, at least in my book. Well, "bloody fake" is essentially "replica" means in context of watches... I therefore think that the term was correctly used- after all, how many times can one use the term "fake" without making it a repetition? OK, OK, I'm done talking 'bout semantics, 'twas just my $0.02 before I get to the meritum.

So, as promised, to the meritum now. Hyperhad, that's great advice for everyone, both first-time buyers of second-hand watches, vintage or not, and those who simply tend to make a purchase based on a "Damn. I like this watch a lot. Let's buy it" first thought. The latter so often make us give the bad news- fake, franken, redial... In other words, when second thoughts come, and uncertainty appears, so appears a "real or fake?" thread. And this might just prevent a few such situations. I enjoy providing feedback and identifying watches for people, and I am usually more than happy to tell someone that his/her watch is all good. I truly hate delivering news of the other sort.

Keep up the good work, Hyperhad!
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

This is the last response from RADO regarding the watch. I had mentioned the dial being odd. Excellent responses from RADO to my many questions.

Dear Sir,

Your remark with the dial is in fact very important. we have checked, if we have made a version of the dial in this shape. But we couldn’t find anything.

If you open the watch you will always find a movement like on the picture below on original Rado watches with the reference 538.0434.3. The battery is located on 12 o’clock side and all bridges are gold plated.

Because of the concern with the dial, we recommend to be very deliberate on this offer before you agree to an acquisition.

We hope that we may have assisted you well in this case and wish all the best to you.

Kind regards,

RADO Touch Team

Rado Watch Co. Ltd | 2543 Lengnau | Switzerland
    Reception +41 32 655 61 11
    Follow us on : facebook | twitter | google + | youtube | instagram

Banned

will note this

I have already learned a lot as a result of joining and being active on this site.

Learning does pay off.

"I never learn anything talking. I only learn things when I ask questions. Lou Holtz"

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending".

Thread Information