• 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By bsshog40

Thread: ..DY W.Co wristwatch

..DY W.Co wristwatch

Today's buy...

Name:  DSC00100.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  81.4 KB

It's not like I wanted something like this. It's just that I could not fin anything worth buying at all, so I bought this just to come back with something...
    The dial is faded and scratched, but this watch does have a nice, silver case.

Name:  DSC000781.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  173.3 KB

The hairspring was one problem, the other... WD40.
    I knew this smell was familiar. The whole movement, the hairspring, the dial was al covered in WD40. Nice...
    Now what did the seller say? 'It des not work, but I don't know why'.
    But... don't you :) ? OK, maybe someone did that before he got it, but it seems fresh :)
    The hairspring I cleaned and more or less straightened. It looks not bad in the picture, but it's not very flat and there are bends in the middle coils, rather unadjustable. I dnt know how wonderful magnification and hoe precise tweezers one would need to adjust this. This hairspring should be replaced.

Now - the watch had some more damage, and among the problems - the setting lever screw turned out to be jammed, the screwdriver notch broken and so I could not remove the barrel bridge. Also, telling by the replaced barrel bridge screws, someone had already been struggling with it.

Name:  DSC00080.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  466.4 KB

So I had to force - remove it. Not plenty of force, because it was only due to the damage that the screw would not just go through the barrel bridge hole without struggle. Still - I left some damage on the edge of the barrel bridge (circle). Because the setting lever could not be removed, I had to mount the stem along with the barrel bridge (that was now hard to install back in place - again - due to the damaged setting lever screw :( ).

OK, continuing with the assembling, I reassembled the balance cock and went on to train...

Name:  DSC00086.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  481.4 KB

...and escapement:

Name:  DSC00090.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  414.9 KB

The watch has an all steel Swiss double roller lever escapement. Good quality.
    The pallet bridge jewel had once been replaced.
    Installing cannon pinion, balance wheel and dial...

Name:  DSC00094.JPG
Size:  465.6 KB

And we're near the end :)
    The movement is marked ...DY W Co. The first letters cannot be told. Also you can see the near faded 15 jewels 3 adj's sign.
    The signatures are faded and I think someone had once polished the plates. Shame, ast this looks to be a good quality movement and the pillar plate is finished nicely, I wonder what the top side finish used to be?

Name:  DSC00078.JPG
Size:  188.1 KB

I can't take a proper picture of the hairspring, but it's not very bad. It's not flat, but it's also not touching anything, so it actually works correctly.

Name:  DSC00079.JPG
Size:  157.2 KB

More or less correctly, as the busted movement works with satisfactory, but inconsistent balance wheel amplitude.

Name:  DSC00102.JPG
Size:  260.1 KB

Cased and done. Well?
    Hmmm - a nice relic of the past due to it's decorated silver case. Still - it's not exactly a masterpiece and the movement had suffered a lot in the troubled past.
    It actually keeps time now and even as I write, it's ticking merrily on my wrist, correctly showing half past five.
    A good buy? Probably not, but I certainly had a good time working on it. I like working on pieces I can simply discard to parts' bin in case of failure. Makes my moves calm and steady, no pressure at all!
    and also, the watch accidentally got a second chance. Oh well - maybe it was worth buying after all :)
    Have a great day!!!

Re: ..DY W.Co wristwatch

Case made by Wilhelm Becker of Pforzheim. No idea about the movement - I think I've seen it before, and the hairspring stud carrier design seems familiar, but my memory fails me on this one.
    pmwas likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Yes, I've been looking, but I can't find an identical movement anywhere. And the unreadible brand name does not help as well...
    Have a great day!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It sounds like thru all the trouble the watch and you went thru, you enjoyed the task of getting it working. Well done!!
    pmwas likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Great stuff, and thanks for the time taken to write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This may be next to impossible to confirm, but the initials suggest the Derby Watch Co. of La Chaux-de-Fonds. The center bridge has a similar shape to their 10 1/2 ligne caliber 33, although this is not that.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Sounds probable, but I'm sure it's a DY. The D is obvious. There is probably an A before, but that's not clear...
    Have a great day!!!

Thread Information