E. Droz pocket watch?

Thread: E. Droz pocket watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

E. Droz pocket watch?

Hello to you all,
    I am new to this forum but not so new to vintage timepieces. I have many, some plain jane and some worthy of a show.
    I have always liked the underdog movements, the strange and hard to determine the who and when.
    I just recently stumbled across a movement in an old Waltham case that may be some sort of automobile case, just not sure. The movement looks to be a Swiss fake but this one has me stumped.
    It reads E. Droz...Switzerland, funky ornate looking plates,(full plate) and appears to be a private label watch because both the bridge plate and the dial have the same name (Mr. Hall). It is stamped 7 jewels(perhaps they forget to add the (1) to make it a fantastic swiss fake?) but I see at least 4 on the top plate then add the balance and pallet, it just simply adds up to more than 7. I have yet to remove the dial to see if any are underneath it. The Droz name is infamous to Swiss wrist watch history, but seeing it on a pocket watch threw me. I have another swiss fake("highly jeweled") and it runs well enough for what it is, this one seems to be doing well but I have yet to tare it down, mostly out of fear of what I may find. Might be best to simply oil the pivits for now and leave it alone.
    The gilding is mostly worn off the plates, indicative of a swiss fake. It is an 18s, ls and not sure as to what stem it has in it, be it a reverse stem or what. I am reluctant to remove the case screws at this point. Aint broke, don't fix it comes to mind.....or Murphy's law knocking here.
    I saw it and had to have it because I just love a mystery. I wound it and it took off after the third wind which is surprising because it has been sitting for some time as reported by the seller. I have read some in Droz&Cie...etc... but nothing on E. Droz.
    Just wondering if anybody has heard of a such an odd duck?
    Will try to get some pictures up when I figure out how to.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; October 16th, 2010 at 19:36.

Re: E. Droz pocket watch?

Yes, please, pictures!
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

droz pocket watch picture

I don't know if this will work. Not so up to date with the pc stuff.
    If anybody wants to see this email me at [email protected] and I will send the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: droz pocket watch picture

To me, the movement looks like a Swiss fake.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Exclamation Re: E. Droz pocket watch?

Threads merged.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

That case is a display case used to sell the movt. Customers would chose the movt and case separately. Worn off plating is in no way indicative of a 'fake'. Repeated ultrasonic cleaning will strip the plating off any high end movt that is plated. I don't know anything about the company, or the layout of that particular watch, but 7 jewels is also not uncommon. Keep in mind that the balance may be only jewelled on one side. Another thing to consider is that not all pallet forks are jewelled, either. Fakes are much more widespread now, but they did exist even back in the days of A.L. Breguet. You usually would find a famous maker being copied, or at least their name used. Fortunately, these are usually easy to spot to the dedicated collector. Hopefully one of the pocketwatch experts can chime in here. I wouldn't dismiss it as a fake, necessarily, but there's something about the engraving.... just a gut feeling.
    Last edited by Outta Time; October 16th, 2010 at 20:30.

Thanks to those that offered your wisdom.
    Yeah, it has all the ear marks of a Swiss fake, but what blows me here is somebody obvious took enough care with it to jewel the top plate, or I am at least assuming that is what happened. As I mentioned I haven't looked under the dial yet or even removed it from the case. The case is probably worth more than the movement, too funny huh? I imagine I will eventually break it down and find those metal fork jewels like those NYS movements sometimes had. I always wondered if you could get a spark out of one of the escapements. I wonder why a Swiss would fake a swiss movement especially when Droz wasn't a pocket watch maker? I did find some info on H. E. Droz who was a case maker in the 1850's thereabouts. Just odd enough to keep me questioning. It runs well enough so I can't complain too much and I didn't pay much for it so I am more excited about the case in retrospect.
    I wasn't banking on a sleeper, you can tell this one isn't all that, but again, it makes me smile because it is probably still over 100 years old. The case has a scribe by hand from 1887, very cool.

A Swiss Fake as used on this forum refers to vintage Swiss pocket watches that were designed to look like their contemporary American competitors. They actually were the Genesis of country of origin requirements

I think it is a wonderful and whimsical thing Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    A Swiss Fake as used on this forum refers to vintage Swiss pocket watches that were designed to look like their contemporary American competitors. They actually were the Genesis of country of origin requirements
    Mike, you are so correct and I wasn't think must past this "railroad terminal" "highly jeweled" swiss fake I have here beside me. After stopping for a moment and looking clearly at the movement, yes, it is clearly stamped E. Droz....Switzerland. No attempts to pass this off as an American counterpart.
    So that leaves me back to square one...who is E. Droz and any relationship to the famous Droz family of watch makers?
    It is only a name and I realize this but it really has me asking some questions. I am reluctant to break it down at the moment to see what it really looks like. My luck and I will mess it up and have a non-runner.
    Nonetheless it is a cool movement to watch running. The hairspring is widening and retracting so well, I would almost swear the balance wheel is out of round by watching it from a few feet away, but it isn't, it just is zipping along that well. It has kept time to within 30 seconds in the last 15 hours. I won't run it much more until I service it.
    I am open to any ideas and your priceless wisdom.
    I thank you kindly,
    richard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information