Early Date Pointer - Advice needed

Thread: Early Date Pointer - Advice needed

Early Date Pointer - Advice needed

This has just arrived.

George Stockwell case with London import marks for 1916. No picture of movement yet but it looks quite a decent quality swiss movement.

The enamel dial is original and although damaged suggests the watch does all date from that period. Its a shame its so worn that I can't read the name on the dial.

Two questions. Oris state on their site that they perfected their date pointer in around 1938 - so who made earlier examples?

Secondly, I'm looking to have the dial restored and theres a company in the UK called Lynton Dials - has anyone had any dealings with them?

Name:  POINTERWATCH1.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  29.5 KB

On a side note its engraved on the back 'V J Woolley' and apparently came from an auction ten years ago in Wellingborough. There was a Dr Virgil John Woolley at Kings College Cambridge who was known in the 20's for Psychic research and debunking clairvoyants, it woul be nice to think its the same man.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Early Date Pointer - Advice needed

I suspect that there will be pocket watches with this complication but the earliest wrist watch with a pointer date I can quote is by A Hammerly of La Chaux de Fonds from 1915. At nearly the same time (1916), Heinrich Moser of Schaffhausen came up with a similar watch that also had the day-of-the-week in a small window. The earliest wrist watch with date in a window is probably by Movado (Cal. 580), also from 1915. So much for the oft-quoted assumption that the date feature was invented by Rolex.....

Hartmut Richter

So if the case date is correct it's not far of one of the earliest. I'll try and post a picture of the movement tomorrow to see if that helps ID. - Just checked and the date code is actually for 1920 not 1916 so still pretty early (always check your facts.).

Forgot to mention that the seller said that it didn't work, but lo and behold when it arrived I wound it a little and it ran for a few hours. It will need a service of course, but hey, for £30.00 you can't grumble.
    Last edited by jhmclearly; August 24th, 2012 at 22:05.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a really interesting watch. Well bought at that price.

I've not dealt with Lynton - but they look very sound. If it were mine I'd get the movement serviced first - before the dial repair - so that if, in fact, its found to be knackered money spent on the dial wouldn't be wasted.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Cheers Marrick

I just couldn't resist it. I like the unusual stuff.

You're right of course. Get it serviced first and make sure its fine before getting the dial done.

Enamel can be really hard to restore well; the "new" enamel will look and age differently then the original. Fortunately, its only in a small area. Awesome pick!
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

An interesting and rare watch.
    In the past dials such as this were repaired, badly, by watchmakers.
    Nowadays, ceramic/porcelain, restorers with all their resins and pastes can
    make excellent repairs, lynton dials look good.

Thread Information