Early Hampdens with hollow center pinion research
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan
  • 1 Post By Ben_hutcherson

Thread: Early Hampdens with hollow center pinion research

Early Hampdens with hollow center pinion research

Hello everyone and good day!

As a side project i've been doing some research on the odd, early Hampden model 2's with hollow center pinions. So far i have been able to identify 3 grades. Railway, J.C. Perry, and Theo E. Studley.

Ill do my best to explain them, and ask if anyone has any of these, or pictures, i would love information for research. Trying to figure out just how many there may be, and if there are any additional grades, is ultimately the goal if at all possible. The hampden blue book has many numbers in and around the references ill show you, but theres no way to know unless some examples turn up!

In the pictures below are the two i have managed to collect so far.
    J.C. Perry #75257 15 jewels adjusted coarse train (16,200 bph)
    Theo E. Studley #100647 11 jewels coarse train

Some points about these movements, they are distinguishable from the typical model 2's because they have a male winding stem and large swing out setting lever as shown in the picture below. On the top plate you will notice the full signature of the grade name instead of the typical Hampden labeling (unless its a private label). Example being Theo E. Studley and J.C. Perry instead of just Studley and Perry. One can also notice the giant center pinion from the view of the top plate. Side note, that dial in the picture is very wrong and the correct dial should have a block letter signature. I've noted a few with private labels now, making the distinction between railway and J.C.Perry grades difficult. The railway has been found to be quick train (18,000bph) and have gold jewel settings. J.C.Perry is coarse train and does not have gold jewel settings.

On top of my two, there are two that can be viewed on page 17 of the Hampden blue book
    75344 nickel 15 jewels adjusted private label. J.C.Perry or Railway grade i think its a railway from the brightness of jewel setting
    100609 gilt 11 jewel private label Theo E. Studley grade

Also in the blue book on page 17, there is a diagram of the hollow center pinions, and i included a picture below of it taken apart.

i have 4 more noted in addition to the 4 above.

two in the 75xxx range one a Railway and one a private label Railway
    two in the 100,xxx range both Theo E Studley, one is a private label

Im hoping by posting this here i will be able to uncover some more pictures and serial numbers, who knows maybe even a new grade. i keep waiting for a Chester Woolworth to pop up, but i have no proof it exists. i Have a feeling that sn 100,000-100,100 could be where they are hiding.

If you have any information, or examples, or anything at all please send a post! Thank you very much and have a good day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Early Hampdens with hollow center pinion research

rickhufnagel7...Hello.

Nice Post...Hampdens are always fun to work on, and it's neat to see someone who enjoys them.

I've worked on a fair number of Hampdens--usually, 18 or 16 size--and they're well-made, and have aged gracefully. I recall a 16 size pallet fork ( from a Grade 105? ) that was more finely-finished than any USA fork I have ever seen...it looked like something out of a high-grade Swiss.

I have an 18s 21J "The Dueber Watch Co" Grade ( SN 2,452, xxx ) waiting its turn for a Service, and it's a real Sweetie...'all original', with no mis-matched screws of other alterations ( which seems a little unusual for these 18s Hampdens...), and I'm certainly looking forward to the experience.

Good luck with your Research, Rick...it's a fine thing to do. Michael.
    rickhufnagel7 likes this.

Thanks Micheal,

I ways enjoyed Hampdens, and when my other research project gets slow (which it very much is right now) I started picking up early Hampden keywinders. I have a hand full now and have managed to find fine examples that look all original (including cases). But it takes patience to find nice looking ones that are not switched, swapped and screwed up. Anyways the first time I saw these early stemwinders I couldn't help but start looking into them, as there's very little information around.

Finding both of these was pure luck. Unfortunately both are recased, both have mismatched hands (because they have the craziest hand sizes with that center pinion being the way it is) and the studley came with a very wrong dial, which has since been changed back to a proper early Hampden dial. Mechanically, both are perfect. The movements themselves are wonderfull. I haven't seen one of these in it's original case yet.

At any rate they are an oddity, and I have my theories on their origin, but nothing has come to light to provide proof. I'll just say that the period of change where New York became Hampden is very fascinating.

That dueber watch co should be a nice job! I have looked at those and Hancock's, and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I tend to stick with Springfield movements. One day though!

Have a good day!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    I used to be an adventurer like you.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Have you talked to Bob Arnold to see what information he has on these?
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thank you sir! it had never crossed my mind, and unfortunately i don't know how to contact him. After posting on two forums, i have had the pleasure of one member adding a railway to my list. I definitely enjoy my projects. Never know what will turn up if you put it out there!
    thanks again, do you know if there is a way to get a message to him?

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

I'll PM you his email address later, or if not email address his phone number.

Bob is THE Hampden man.
    rickhufnagel7 likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    I'll PM you his email address later, or if not email address his phone number.

Bob is THE Hampden man.
    Thank you so much! This is exciting!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thread Information