Early Heuer Chronograph Wristwatch
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By periferico
  • 1 Post By periferico
  • 4 Post By pilotswatch

Thread: Early Heuer Chronograph Wristwatch

Early Heuer Chronograph Wristwatch

I have posted this on a couple of other forums but not here.

A bit of history (as I understand it)

In an effort to enter the American market, Ed. Heuer & Cie became Ed. Heuer & Cie, Rose Watch Co. in 1912. In 1914, Heuer began producing chronograph wristwatches with silver cases, enameled dials, and crowns at 12 o'clock. In 1922, the Rose Watch Co. moniker was dropped.

My watch

According to the hallmarks (and thanks to David Boettcher of vintagewatchstraps.com), the sterling silver case was assayed in London in 1913/1914 and submitted by Stockwell & Co. It is 39mm in diameter with a lug width of 12mm. The case and movement share a serial(?) number of 8031.

The watch is functioning well but the replacement hands certainly need attending to. I have found a similar watch (on ukwatches.com) for reference and I wonder how I might go about finding a set of spade hands that will fit.

Also, I have not been able to identify the manufacturer of the beautiful movement. It is about 14 lignes, contains 15 jewels, and has been adjusted to 4 positions. According to ukwatches.com, it is a predecessor to the Valjoux 22 but I have not found any information to confirm this.

Any thoughts would be welcomed, here is the watch.

Name:  IMG_4848.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  599.1 KBName:  IMG_4849.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  728.3 KBName:  IMG_4996.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  457.3 KB
    jackruff likes this.

Re: Early Heuer Chronograph Wristwatch

Hi Pereferico,

You may never know the movement maker!

Reading 'Chronograph Wristwatches. To stop time. Gerd Lang. Richard Meis.

They list your movement : Page 249. Anonymous (Rose watch)
    Lever movement, stem wind,seconds bit, chronograph mechanism with crown wheel and carrying arm.
    Diameter 32.8 mm, 14.5 lignes.

You'll be pleased to know in the image the crown and lugs match yours.

Regards,

Hi James,

I am beginning to accept this reality.

Your response is much appreciated and I am certainly pleased with the information. By any chance, is the 'serial' number of the example in the book visible? I would expect it to be in one of the locations below.

Attachment 7146298Attachment 7146314

I will look into the book that you referenced as chronographs are of particular interest.

Thanks again,

Simon

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I couldn't see anything on your attachment but I have taken a photo of the movement.

The first one at the same angle as yours.

...and how it appears in the book.

Actually this is a 17 jewel version but no matter everything appears to line up.

Regards.

I apologize for the faulty links. I am still adapting to the intricacies of this forum.

The example from the book is interesting as the movement markings do not resemble mine, but rather the only other example that I have seen.

Name:  EH2 - Copy.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  884.7 KB

Since this similarly marked example is branded Heuer rather than Rose, I am surprised that the movement in the book is referred to as an "Anonymous (Rose watch)". According to the markings by the escape wheel cock, the movement in the book appears to have 15 JLS (and 3 ADJ), rather than 17. Also, the stud is round rather than triangular. This difference can also be seen in the example above (from ukwatches.com). The 'serial' number 8575 (from the book) is closer to the example from ukwatches.com (8492) than mine (8031).

As you mentioned above, the case and crown do match mine quite well.

I really appreciate that you took the time to take and post these photographs as this is only the third example that I have ever seen.

Thank you very much for the discussion,

Simon
    Last edited by periferico; February 21st, 2016 at 16:39.

Well at least you have a rare watch. Strangely the books does list it at 17 jewels but when I zoom in on my example and your 3rd image it reads 16 at least to my eyes.
    The Tag Heuer website shows a watch like yours but no movements and they claim they are pocket watch movements inserted into the wristwatch.

The first wrist worn chronographs | TAG Heuer

So that might be your start. Early Heuer pocket watch chronographs. After a quick look I found this but alas no identification.

http://helmut-sinn.com/wp-content/up...n_internet.png

As you say you may well have to content yourself with not knowing but if you do find out please let us know here. As you will have advanced the knowledge a little. Good luck. "
    Last edited by James A; February 21st, 2016 at 22:26.

Upon closer inspection, I would agree that the example from the book, and the other example that I provided, are marked 16 jewels rather than 15 or 17.

The example that you provided from Tag Heuer's website, and the pocket watch that was owned by Helmut Sinn, are likely linked based on information from On The Dash. Unfortunately the movement is quite different from mine and also of unknown origins.

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  204.2 KBName:  23.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  162.5 KB

As you suggest, I will look deeper into Heuer pocket watch chronographs and if I find anything, I will certainly share it here. Thanks again for all of your help.
    Last edited by periferico; February 22nd, 2016 at 00:35.
    James A likes this.

Hello Periferico, Just wanted to share info I found about your interesting early Heuer chronograph. This is an ad I found on Calibre11 web site.

And this is my early Ed Heuer cronograph

pilotswatch

Thread Information