Early IWC wrist watch - for advice please
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By corkscrew
  • 2 Post By radger

Thread: Early IWC wrist watch - for advice please

Early IWC wrist watch - for advice please

Hi

This is a recent acquisition which is a 1909 IWC with a cal 64 movement.
    The movement does not look like the other cal 64s that I've seen and I would be interested in the thoughts of some of the experts here.
    Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mirius and radger like this.

Re: Early IWC wrist watch - for advice please

This is not a 'classic' IWC but rather a 'Peerless' IWC base caliber modified IWC ebauche, based on the 64T model to be more precise.
    AS you probably know, Peerless was a British retailer selling relatively quality Swiss ebauche watches under their own brand,
    at the same time they were also retailing IWC -AND- using some earlier IWC base calibers as ebauches for their own brand;
    For that reason, you do not see the classic IWC stamp on the movement, the distinctive 3 screws on both two top ratchet wheels that are so common on all IWC calibers (and instead see just a central one).
    In addition, the click sprint area is very different and you have a nice Borgel case;
    Apart of that the calibers are the same base calibers and nebertheless, this is not an "orthodox" IWC .

More about cal 64/64T:
    IWC's Earliest Wristwatches

Thank you eldarinn. Your information is incorrect as Peerless was not a British retailer. The IWC movements were supplied to the UK market through Stauffer & Co (recognised by the lettering S&Co under a crown). Peerless was merely one of the trade names used by Stauffer. The screw arrangement on the ratchet wheels was a feature of the earliest cal.64 movement (not the 64T as this is pin set) and was replaced with the distinctive 3 screws you mention around 1907/8 (along with the different design of the click spring). This watch dates to 1908 and is one of the earliest Borgel cased watches known. It has been verified by the IWC archives as having been supplied as a complete watch rather than the more common movement only. In that respect I guess it is very much an "orthodox" IWC

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am indebted to David Boettcher for the information that he was able to provide and you can see a far more in-depth history of IWC, Stauffer and Borgel on his website Vintage Watch Straps - Stauffer, Son & Co. of La Chaux-de-Fonds, and Stauffer & Co. of London

Just to add.
    I have an early Stauffer Peerless I.W.C with cal64 and it is fully marked for I.W.C under
    the dial on the bottom plate.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Just to add.
    I have an early Stauffer Peerless I.W.C with cal64 and it is fully marked for I.W.C under
    the dial on the bottom plate.
    No pics. It didn't happen
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I've only got these two poor pics handy.

This is a later Stauffer Peerless watch than the OP's and is in a fairly robust, heavier built than the norm, hinged back silver
    case with hinged inner cuvette.
    The case by Charles Nicolet and London import mark and date letter for 1923.

Note the distinctive, curved clickspring and three screws to ratchet wheels.

These early I.W.C cal64 wristwatches really were top notch watches for their day, in fact
    they'd still be top notch watches if they were made today...with shockproofing of course.

I'll remove the dial and take some pics if I get a minute this weekend.

Last edited by radger; December 14th, 2012 at 19:52. Reason: sp
    Mirius and Marrick like this.

Thread Information