WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Early Nurse's Sweep Second Watch

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Mirius 
#1 · (Edited)
This came today:

Inside the back cover is rather interesting:

The hallmarks are Swiss .935 (probably where the case was made) plus George Stockwell's GS mark as the importer into London and London assay mark .925 for 1914. And 84 in a box. This is a Russian mark for silver above .875 purity. Russian Hallmarks • Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

In addition, it has the letter Y in a lozenge which is the mark (registered 1912) of Frey et cie. Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index (down near the bottom).

One of Adam's nurse's watches also has Frey's mark on the case https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/gallet-wwi-nurses-sweep-seconds-wristwatch-906520.html

The movement doesn't look to be a Gallet; and I can't ID it. No marks under the balance but if anyone can identify it I'd be grateful. Seems to be 10'''.

Apparently recently serviced by a BHI registered watchmaker - and keeping time so far. My wife likes it.

Thanks for reading. Any theories as to how it came to have a Russian mark inside very welcome.

See less See more
#4 ·
Congratulations.
I surely missed that.
Glad you got it.
I bet its a Gallet movement.
Who else had a direct sweep seconds in 1912??

E mail me the pictures of movement, case and dial and I will ask Gallet
adam007@gmail.com

Here is Gallet 1919 Catalog page with sweep second caliber
Sorry I have not studied it to yours

Once again - great early piece
Adam

Reactions: busmatt
#5 ·
How did I miss the Frey mark when I was checking the listing? Looking for another watch I noticed that I have an almost identical centre seconds movement that is marked Frey both on movement and case. Mine though lacks both UK hallmarks and the centre seconds parts which have been removed. The click on mine is also different, but in the same place so I think they would be the same calibre.

Watch Watch accessory Pocket watch Fashion accessory Analog watch

#7 ·
How did I miss the Frey mark when I was checking the listing? Looking for another watch I noticed that I have an almost identical centre seconds movement that is marked Frey both on movement and case. Mine though lacks both UK hallmarks and the centre seconds parts which have been removed. The click on mine is also different, but in the same place so I think they would be the same calibre.

View attachment 1586888
I think so too - there are a lot of similarities. Perhaps someone with early Frey documentation will show up. WRT your earlier post, I was surprised to be the only bidder - but he started it at a high price and didn't describe its key feature very well. Also, being a ladies' watch must limit the appeal.

Its a pity yours has been reduced somewhat - but still a rare example.

#8 ·
Passed to Gallet.
Lets wait.
adam

#9 ·
Is the screw for the hairspring terminal below the pin instead of to the side? That and a number of other design elements make me doubt this is a gallet. The crown wheel and click spring designs also don't seem to match the known gallet watches I've seen. Sweep second, of course, wasn't new to the 20th century, it was just rare.

#10 · (Edited)
Is the screw for the hairspring terminal below the pin instead of to the side?
Yes - I think so. Well, its certainly not visible. Anyway, off to bed now as its tomorrow already!

Been looking to find any more images of Frey movements and found this on ebay:

Pocket watch Watch Fashion accessory Gear Metal

Definitely the same configuration.

#11 ·
Congrats once again Marrick!

Sorry to say I can't help with any nuggets if information... I can only say its a little gem!

#12 ·
I guess this doesn't give much more information but Frey was listen 1918/19 for 9 3/4 and 10 1/2 ligne wrist watches in all shapes. Their most famos invention was in 1920 the "perpetual" self winding watch with the crazy pendulum weight for winding. (Prichard). Therefore you can be quite sure that this movement is a "Frey" and not just labeld with his name.

Kind regards Silke

#14 ·
I guess this doesn't give much more information but Frey was listen 1918/19 for 9 3/4 and 10 1/2 ligne wrist watches in all shapes. Their most famos invention was in 1920 the "perpetual" self winding watch with the crazy pendulum weight for winding. (Prichard). Therefore you can be quite sure that this movement is a "Frey" and not just labeld with his name.

Kind regards Silke
Like this:

Reactions: bobbee and SilkeN
#13 ·
Yes I'm inclined towards it being a Frey movement - but Adam has kindly contacted Gallet to check with them.

Meanwhile I've been trying to learn a bit about the '84' assay mark. Although primarily Russian, apparently also used by some other countries such as Persia but I can't find a list of which ones. Anyhow, it occurred to me that this Swiss watch was undoubtedly imported to the UK in 1914 and probably went to Russia or elsewhere afterwards - possibly in the possession of a nurse sent to work overseas.

And so I found this Badass of the Week: Flora Sandes which profiles the most remarkable Flora Sandes. In August 1914 Flora Sandes and 36 other nurses arrived at a small town just 50 miles from Belgrade, Serbia. She became a combatant and ultimately the first woman ever to be commissioned as an officer in the Serbian military! She eventually returned to the UK. Most extraordinary.

Standing Uniform Headgear Soldier Jacket

So, maybe this was her watch..........:think::think:

#15 · (Edited)
May be :-d....

Many swiss watchmakers and "manufactures" ordered their cases as well by casemakern. Often you find the silvermarks according to the country who should be delivered in a silvercase in addition with the swiss one. In some cases I've seen two diffend foreign hallmarlks in PW cases. But russian, english and swiss "english like" is really rare. The "english like" are a design which is usually used for the asia or osman marked. They seem to produce this watch and than wait and see who want to sell it. Maybe the russian market with the 0.,875 silver part as highest possible sign was the first choise and than..hoplahop ..revolution 1917 and the marked, the contacts and contracts changes even a few years earlier. If they have had a gread stock of sterlimg silver cases they decide to deliver england..possible. I thing the timewindow match but may be I've a fertile imagination by watching this nice lady above.

Kind regards Silke

@Adam: fantastc . A really rare peace.

#16 ·
May be :-d....

@Adam: fantastc . A really rare peace.
Yes very rare and 100% correct.
Case is made in Germany, I can pull out my files of the maker, but it is not Swiss

#18 ·
A slight bump to this thread as I guess people are on holiday and answers from Gallet are likely to be slow.

So to add a little content - a side by side shot and what are the chances?

Watch Fashion accessory Pocket watch Watch accessory Jewellery

Frey on the left (marked calibre and case) is stripped of all centre seconds parts but does still have the extended third wheel pinion.
Gallet on the right (marked calibre and case, but case also has Frey Y) has all the centre seconds parts but the extended third wheel pinion is broken (and is missing bridge screws).
Both watches run. The third wheel in the train bridge is jewelled in the Gallet but unjewelled in the Frey. What are the chances that the pinions are the same?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.