Early Tissot with R. Albert Riele 19''' ?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roland Ranfft

Thread: Early Tissot with R. Albert Riele 19''' ?

Early Tissot with R. Albert Riele 19''' ?

Greetings WUSers,

added this timepiece to my vintage watch collection.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 909
Size:  172.9 KB

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  183.9 KB

and identified the movement as R. Albert Riele 19''' from Dr. Ranfft website (bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: R. Albert Riele 19''' )

My concern started later when I recognized on the dial signed 17 jewels but the movement in pinkpages is mentioned 15 jewels and at the other hand the whole watch w/out crown is 39 mm vs pinkpages 42,6 mm movement only.

So my question is, is the dial adopted to the case and movement and frankenized ? Or this Albert Riele had different calibers which are not mentioned in pinkpages? What do you think?

I estimate this watch to be arpound WW I era, what shall we expect from those times Tissot , any ideas, movement?

thanks,
    Last edited by Emre; September 7th, 2012 at 19:55.

Re: Early Tissot with R. Albert Riele 19''' ?

Hi there,

the similarity to the Riele calibre is by accident. Many manufacturers used this bridge layout around 1900. Anyway, Tissot well used almost only ebauches from movement supplieres, nothing suspicious so far. But from the start they signed them with a serial number - a first indicator that this one has nothing to do with Tissot. Moreover it is a typical movement for ladies hunter watches, nothing ever intended for a wrist watch. And last not least this design stands for around ca. 1900, a time when wristwatches were not yet popular.

After the style of case and dial, this watch was combined with parts from the material box in the 40s, and actually has nothing common with any Tissot model. The reasons to make such watches have changed with time: In the fourties watches were expensive, and it was reasonable to cobble them together from still usable components. Today the same is done to deceive collector newbies.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Wow, that was advanced information:) Thats why there are people who are called ' Newbie Collector ' and ' Collectors'.Thank you. So the movement is not Riele, just something in parallel from the 1900's and the it was put together somewhere in the 40's? Accidentally exact looking, not really convinced about that. Also to my beginner knowledge weren't the movement numbers in Tissot engraved underneath the dial in the earlier models ? Where shall we look for a number high probably 5 digits for the ca.1900 if it would be Tissot ?
    Last edited by Emre; September 4th, 2012 at 18:09.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by zyk1on View Post
    Where shall we look for a number high probably 5 digits for the ca.1900 if it would be Tissot ?
    No no idea, most, may be all I have seen, had the number on a bridge or aside the balance on the base plate. But the Tissot bible from Estelle Fallet shows also watches without visible numbers, but all with movements bought from ebauche suppliers. These may have the number under the dial - don't know. Tissot also used calibres looking like yours in pocket watches (likely from FHF). But why do you need this information? Movement from 1900 or earlier, Tissot lable on the dial as registered in 1925, case- and dial style from the 40s.... This is cobbled together anyway, and neither for the historical nor for the monetary value the origin of the components play a reasonable role.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Emre likes this.

Thread Information