EB 8810 Movement Accuracy
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dan S

Thread: EB 8810 Movement Accuracy

EB 8810 Movement Accuracy

Hello,

I am researching a new pocket watch that I just got and was finding it difficult to find too much information on the EB 8810 movement. I wanted to know how accurate this watch is in terms of being able to keep time. My pocket watch seems to be off by about 5 seconds every hour. I am not looking for perfect time keeping, but I tend to reset my watch every so often so that my watch remains accurate. This is a 17 Jewel pin-lever watch. Thanks for the help!

Re: EB 8810 Movement Accuracy

I think that the accuracy of a given movement is a function of the quality of the movement itself, the wear it has experienced, and its service history. You didn't mention the service history of your watch, but if it hasn't been serviced recently, you shouldn't expect it to keep good time, and 2 minutes a day would certainly not be acceptable to me.

That said, the EB8810 is considered an low-end movement, and like all pin-lever movements, it is particularly susceptible to wear over time, so it may or may not be possible to restore this movement to a high level of accuracy. It can also be difficult to find someone who is willing to repair these movements, because many watchmakers will say it's not worth the time and money. So, you can try to find someone to service the watch, but it still might not keep great time. And if it does keep good time initially after the service, it could degrade fairly quickly. An alternative, would be to invest the money that you would spend on the service on a watch with a higher quality movement. There are many vintage PWs that fit this category.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I think that the accuracy of a given movement is a function of the quality of the movement itself, the wear it has experienced, and its service history. You didn't mention the service history of your watch, but if it hasn't been serviced recently, you shouldn't expect it to keep good time, and 2 minutes a day would certainly not be acceptable to me.

That said, the EB8810 is considered an low-end movement, and like all pin-lever movements, it is particularly susceptible to wear over time, so it may or may not be possible to restore this movement to a high level of accuracy. It can also be difficult to find someone who is willing to repair these movements, because many watchmakers will say it's not worth the time and money. So, you can try to find someone to service the watch, but it still might not keep great time. And if it does keep good time initially after the service, it could degrade fairly quickly. An alternative, would be to invest the money that you would spend on the service on a watch with a higher quality movement. There are many vintage PWs that fit this category.
    I'm totally new to pocket watches. I don't know when the watch was last serviced or if it ever was. I don't really know anything so I guess more research into watches is needed.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JohnConnerItIsTime View Post
    ... I don't really know anything ...
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
    - Socrates -

tinknocker and thoth like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------