An Ebay 'Breguet'

Thread: An Ebay 'Breguet'

Question An Ebay 'Breguet'

Hello, antiques people:

found this on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=110480668907

The watch is incorrectly identified as a Breguet (BREGUET HSPG is interpreted as the manufacturer, not a balance spring design). I was just curious what VESTA could mean. Was there a movement maker bearing this name?

Thanks!

Re: An Ebay 'Breguet'

Vesta is given as a brand used by Beyersdorf Freres of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland; registered in 1897.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php/280/letter_V

They would have been the watch assemblers; perhaps someone else will recognise the movement.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Vesta is given as a brand used by Beyersdorf Freres of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland; registered in 1897.
    Thank you for the information. There's one thing I don't really get here. Specifically, why draw one's attention to the hairspring design? Okay, it's fitted with a Breguet hairspring, but what's the big deal? Why put this next to the assembler's name? There's nothing on the dial, very few markings on the movement (I'd guess the watch was destined for England because of that 'Made in Switzerland' stamp)... weird

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

<shrug> for the same reason you'd put "incabloc", "Adjusted", "Safety Pinion" or any of a hundred other things that can be found on movments, cases and dials. A Breguet Hairspring makes the watch more accurate, and more expensive, so why wouldn't you call it out? Especially if your competition <isn't> using them? At this level, it's all about marketing, image, and how you can position your product to appeal to the customer.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

To this day Rolex makes it an advertising point to mention that it uses a Breguet overcoil hairspring.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    <shrug> for the same reason you'd put "incabloc", "Adjusted", "Safety Pinion" or any of a hundred other things that can be found on movments, cases and dials. A Breguet Hairspring makes the watch more accurate, and more expensive, so why wouldn't you call it out? Especially if your competition <isn't> using them? At this level, it's all about marketing, image, and how you can position your product to appeal to the customer.
    And speaking of marketing, have you read the ad copy? Wow. I semi-regularly spite myself to avoid people who sound like they know more about selling than they do about WHAT they're selling.
    I hope I look as good as my Hamilton when I'm seventy. I guess time will tell.

Thread Information