ebay critic

Thread: ebay critic

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ebay critic

Ebay does a good job in most ways especially with security and safety. My main complaint now is not listing reserve prices. I bid high enough to exceed reserve but underbidder was too low for increment to beat reserve.
    Communications with seller is impossible for someone unregistered. A 99.9% seller insists that an expensive Gruen is mismarked 14K and is 18k.
    Item 310194622086. I know for a fact it was available in 14K. I had one. This false claim could be an advantage for justifying an unwarranted return, but maybe someone could correct it.

Re: ebay critic

well at least he didnt hide it was marked 14k and yes some were 14k and even gold filled, "By the early 1930s, Gruen had sold less than half of the Anniversary watches. Since customers were encouraged to customize these watches, the movements were stored at Time Hill and were not cased until an order was placed. During the lean years of the Great Depression and later, most of the remaining movements were sold off at bargain prices in 14k or gold-filled cases." (quote from a web page on gruen history), amusingly the seller had used a quote from that web page, not sure he read it to the end though or maybe he did and chose to ignore it, but as that watch is marked 163 he may have assumed it was one of the first half that were usually 18k. finally why dont you register with ebay and you can ask questions yourself, i always ask questions when considering a purchase, if i dont recieve a reply i dont bid or buy!
    A man with a watch always knows what the time is. A man with two watches is never sure.

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Ebay does a good job in most ways especially with security and safety. My main complaint now is not listing reserve prices. I bid high enough to exceed reserve but underbidder was too low for increment to beat reserve.
    Communications with seller is impossible for someone unregistered. A 99.9% seller insists that an expensive Gruen is mismarked 14K and is 18k.
    Item 310194622086. I know for a fact it was available in 14K. I had one. This false claim could be an advantage for justifying an unwarranted return, but maybe someone could correct it.
    I routinely report eBay fakes. If (in the TAG Forum) we have opened a thread on the specific listing and I include it's URL, they more often than not pull the listing. Otherwise they do seem to be fairly resistant. Someday their failures to act decisively on fakes will come back to haunt them.

As to reserve prices, I don't really care. I have a sniping service. I put in what I will pay. I win or I loose or the owner has to relist if they want to sell...

What I find most interesting is the percentage of watches that 'sold' and then reappear withing a week. I never sell but it looks like this portends a substantial number of winners never follow through on watch sales.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good advice here. I registered and sent polite comment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    What I find most interesting is the percentage of watches that 'sold' and then reappear withing a week. I never sell but it looks like this portends a substantial number of winners never follow through on watch sales.
    I see it to - and it got worse when eBay made the bidder's ID private. I really think that there is a lot of schill bidding happening, and if the schill goes just a bit too far the seller simply relists the watch. I've seen the same exact Constellation that was "won" 3 times get relisted.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Even live, in-person auctions can have a reserve price. And, it not provided to the bidders.

Reserves are so the seller does not lose out on a slow day, and it is not published so it will not affect the bidding.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Even live, in-person auctions can have a reserve price. And, it not provided to the bidders.

Reserves are so the seller does not lose out on a slow day, and it is not published so it will not affect the bidding.
    I've never understood reserve prices. I know it's to start the bidding low and get a bidding frenzy going so that people will bid higher.

Why don't they just start the bidding at the reserve price. Seems more open and honest.

Start bidding at reserve certainly best for me. Buy It Now works for me also.

Because Ebay is about sales, and one of the keys to selling people things they dont' actually need is to get them to create an emotional bond to the item. If the starting price is low, you'll start to imagine that you might be able to get it, and you'll start to consider the item as "yours". That'll encourage you to spend more then you might have when you started.

Besides, If you start the bidding at the reserve price, many people won't even stop to look at the item (or in the case of ebay, it may not even show up on their "search". By starting low, you're able to present the item to more people for consideration without risking your investment. After all, just because you weren't planning on spending $100 doesn't mean that you won't if the right item comes along.

As for schill bidding, yeah I suspect that's happening a lot in one form or another, but it doesn't really affect me; I only bid what I'm willing to pay, and if I win it, great. If not, great. The only losers are the seller who has to pay EBay costs on an item he didn't actually sell, or the buyer who shouldn't have let himself get sucked into paying more then he wanted. There isn't a system on earth that can't be played, and the more you try to protect people from their own ignorance, the more loopholes you create for the players to exploit. EBay's systems are pretty good, all things considered.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

My objection to unknown reserves is that I lose even when I bid higher than the reserve because next high bidder is too low so the incremental increase does not reach the reserve level. High bidder should get item at reserve value. This happens because I am infrequent 1 price bidder.
    Last edited by artb; January 19th, 2010 at 18:10. Reason: clarify

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information