Ebay seller confidence question
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ebay seller confidence question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ebay seller confidence question

Have 100% in all ways with 40+ Ebay and Paypal purchases. Faced with a 100% seller of good old p.w. listed in Suisse that will not use paypal (he says takes over a month to transfer). Nice item at fair cost with active bidding that I want is billed by Ebay for payment to same seller name in S. Africa. Had agreeable email Q&A with seller only about item details. No language barrier.Too risky? Name David Fink good reputation? Has several upscale items. No returns. Am researching through ebay and email to Fink.

RESULTS: David Fink has a very fine record with fine antique pocket watches to fair sized group of fussy buyers. His payment system is only barrier for me now which requires bank and credit card numbers with no insured security to SKRILL money brokers; unknown to me agency. Any experience with that payment arrangement? Fink has good stuff very well presented and described, but knows how to put the risks totally on the buyers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; January 4th, 2012 at 01:25.

Re: Ebay seller confidence question

never give credit card details this sounds to much like a good scam. Why cant he take paypal? scams like these are well known to come from south africa.

Wow, I understand the temptation but you gotta look out for number one. A perplexing situtation
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't proceed. Paypal payments are instant if made from a credit card or paypal balance - they are only slow if taken from a bank account. Paypal is the safest way to pay on ebay. Ebay say: Report listings that offer PayPal as a payment method but exclude PayPal in the item description

Its not unknown for reputable sellers to have their ebay accounts hijacked. You might not be dealing with the real Mr Fink.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Paypal payment are also instant if taken from a bank. They are only slow and can take up to a month if the payment is via echeque, where Paypal requests the money from the bank (as opposed to taking it by direct debit). I don't know about Switzerland and South African ebay but I think it is a requirement by ebay that sellers accept paypal, mainly because they make money by doing so, but also because it does reduce the risk of fraud.

I had a similar problem with an IWC Meccaquartz ... the seller refused to use PayPal... I got his work phone number and called him there and discussed the watch. That satisfied me and I sent the money. Got the watch and all were happy.

No PayPal means extra steps. But I wouldn't as a blanket rule require all transactions to be done via PayPal. PayPal is not perceived uniformly through out the world.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Many thanks to all. I will risk my ebay good record by refusing to pay this one.

A complicated suspect situation for me. Resolved by managing to exchange phone numbers. I reinstated ebay 100% rating for Daniel Fink, not David, who is selling father's very fine collection, after very agreeable phone conversation. He had to use the S. African address because it is his Paypal address thus delay to him for payment; he is now in Switzerland. He was unaware of the Moneybookers complxities I experienced.

This one to me worth the risk. A best investment: 18k, interesting technically, functional, 100 years age, fine hand work, fine condition, fine art. Wonder why its home market with the best currency Swiss franc would not have bidder higher than my rather low one. Maybe only because its only decoration is initials, and only about a 12 size, and unknown fabricator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

issacar likes this.

Congrats and glad things worked out for you and a very clean looking PW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information