EBAY Watch Disasters. What is the WORST watch you've ever bought on EBay?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: EBAY Watch Disasters. What is the WORST watch you've ever bought on EBay?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

EBAY Watch Disasters. What is the WORST watch you've ever bought on EBay?

So, how about everyone shares and posts their Ebay purchase disasters on this thread.

I'll start this off. Enjoy

Even I was thinking, WTF did I buy that for the moment the auction closed. My wife questions my sanity often, this one made me question my own - and that doesn't happen often as I am pretty good at self deception.

I already know it is the worst watch I have bought even though it isn't even here yet.

All I ask is, why? I wasn't drinking at the time. What's worse is that it wasn't even cheap.

Vendor's pictures:

Redeeming features (maybe):

1. A good stainless case.
    2. It was an auto triple date bumper. Which would be very cool if more than 50% of the movement was there. I wonder what it was?

*Edit: I believe I have ID'd it as an AS1315.

Sadly, I have no regrets about buying it (yet).

Join in the fun, post yours! Don't be coy
    Last edited by trim; November 18th, 2010 at 21:29.

Banned

Re: EBAY Watch Disasters. What is the WORST watch you've ever bought on EBay?

Here's over $500 of franken Omega:

Bought it years ago before I had a clue. The case is supposed to house a 551 (non-date). I did source a correct cross hair dial for it, and I'll find a 551 to install then keep the 561 since Omega has double their prices on parts. It might make a nice watch once corrected. I've kept it all these years as a reminder to do my homework before a purchase.

Excellent! I know you'd mentioned it before, but I don't recall seeing it - so thanks for posting it.

I wonder if I should post my Mumbai Tissot that was my first ever Ebay purchase of a Vintage watch and a typical disaster. Fortunately like you I wasn't put off vintages for life.
    Last edited by trim; November 18th, 2010 at 22:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This one

I came across the auction in the last few seconds. I saw "antique grand central 21 jewel pocket watch", hastily bid and won.

I was in for a rude shock. The watch was nothing like what I imagined. Badly built, with fake jewels & almost all the holes worn out. I did not know about these Swiss fakes in those days

The good thing is that it only cost me about USD 26 shipped from the US!

Aditya
    Last edited by aditya; November 18th, 2010 at 21:49.

Gorgeous thread...

Nivada Discus:

(Didn't pay much, but, well...)

Worthless Longines Conquest

(overpriced for this piece of junk, it's even an ETA movement. At least it is running.)

Tissot PR 516 GL Sonorous

What ever happened to this dial... at least it has a proper bezel, unlike this one:

So why did I buy these?

My Ebay disaster was actually the opposite - the BEST watch I NEVER bought. I once saw a Hamilton Sir Echo that was mistakenly listed only in pocket watches. There were no bids, and the starting price was $0.99, with no reserve. I 'watchlisted' it and kept on looking.

When I went back to look at it, the auction had ended 15 minutes after I'd put it on my watch list. I'd assumed it was early in the auction, since there were no bids.

Later, properly listed, it sold for $300. And I could have had it for a buck.

I bought this ages ago for not a lot, with the intention of 'doing it up' but it's yet to happen!!

The mov't is ok I think, the case not too bad, but the dial and hands are shot to s**t. Not sure whether to look at redialing it or just buy a dial off ebay and some new hands??

I also bought some cheap chinese auto skeleton crap for like £10 inc p&p before I had a clue.....sat in a drawer somewhere since!!

In the same not having a clue period some time ago, I also bought a Mumbai Special Favre Leuba,(not got a piccy unfortunately.....or maybe fortunately??) which, while not great by any means, wasn't the worst one I've seen!!

The Mrs took a fancy to it, but accidently dropped it one day, and the glass, movement and dial fell out, the hands came off as did half of the 'new' paint on the dial!!

Luckily, I hadn't paid too much for that one either, and we've still got it somewhere as, like ULF, a learning tool

I've got a "21 Jewel" that makes yours look honest. Note the little red "jewel" right in the middle? Where (on a good watch) the center wheel would be? Except this is a Roskopf style movement, so there isn't a center wheel? So its just sitting there on the plate? Looking pretty? :)

I can honestly say I've never been truly "disappointed" by anything I've bought off the bay (I bought this one knowing what it was, 'cause it just so damn audacious!). Of course, that has more to do with low standards then anything else ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I've got a "21 Jewel" that makes yours look honest. Note the little red "jewel" right in the middle? Where (on a good watch) the center wheel would be? Except this is a Roskopf style movement, so there isn't a center wheel? So its just sitting there on the plate? Looking pretty? :)

I can honestly say I've never been truly "disappointed" by anything I've bought off the bay (I bought this one knowing what it was, 'cause it just so damn audacious!). Of course, that has more to do with low standards then anything else ;)
    I am jealous, I wish mine had a centre jewel

Aditya

Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    I am jealous, I wish mine had a centre jewel

Aditya
    It's a spare - have You never seen this before?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information