ECO Watch

Thread: ECO Watch

Question ECO Watch

I need some help identifying this watch.
    The movement has a distinguished arrow on the regulator.
    Thank you.
    Kurtnz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: ECO Watch

Can't find anything about ECO.

The case is, of course, Swiss. MGBM = 'Manufacture Genevoise de Boites de Montres' = Geneva Watch Case Co.

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php/280/letter_M
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Typical early 20th century Swiss movement. Any markings under the balance?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are no markings uner the ballance but there is a FEF stamp under the dial.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like Fleurier 40 series (not sure which) based on the keyless works.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you everyone with your input.
    I just got my Pritchard's Swiss Timepiecemakers book back and I looked up ECO in there.
    According to Pritchards ECO was a company name used by Frey & Co. Montres Freco.
    Would they use a movement from the Fleurier Watch Company? I would have thought that the they produced their own movements.
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    Kurt

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Relatively few watchmakers, then and now, use their own movements. For most, the development costs are too high - if they started that practice, their watches would automatically become more expensive. The alternative would be to churn them out in their hundreds of thousands to minimize development costs per unit sold (e.g. Junghans in former days, or Rolex). Just because it's generic, it doesn't have to be worse, just a little more boring - the modern ETA movements are damn hard to beat for sheer quality!

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Just because it's generic, it doesn't have to be worse, just a little more boring - the modern ETA movements are damn hard to beat for sheer quality!

Hartmut Richter
    Indeed (my opinion only!), the ETA 2892-A2 is the finest wristwatch movement ever made. Their specifications require each and every one to meet chronometer standards, even if the buyer did not buy the serial numbered chronometer grade version. All three of mine have no problem exceeding the COSC chronometer standard (only one is a certified chronometer).

So don't poo poo non-internally manufactured movements. When doing make or buy analysis, 'buy' is usually better than 'make' for most vendors.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Indeed (my opinion only!), the ETA 2892-A2 is the finest wristwatch movement ever made. Their specifications require each and every one to meet chronometer standards, even if the buyer did not buy the serial numbered chronometer grade version. All three of mine have no problem exceeding the COSC chronometer standard (only one is a certified chronometer).

So don't poo poo non-internally manufactured movements. When doing make or buy analysis, 'buy' is usually better than 'make' for most vendors.
    My most recent watch has an ETA 2824-2. The balance wheel shows that it is one of the lower grade ("Standard" or "Elabore") rather than the higher grade ("Top" or "Chronometre") movements. The thing runs fairly steady at +3 to +4 seconds a day with so far a maximum deviation between lowest and highest daily rates of only 7.5 seconds! And that over several months!! When you look at the month to month average, you can halve that. Well within COSC specifications!

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information