Elco Pocket Watch Fake or Real?

Thread: Elco Pocket Watch Fake or Real?

Elco Pocket Watch Fake or Real?

I usually don't go for pocket watches but I really liked this watch (a nice arrow/leaf on the side of the watch is what drew me in :S) which I picked up at a local flea market today. Knowing my previous troubles in authenticating things I'd like to check here if I got a"deal" or a "douche" for future refrences. I know what I paid for it isn't a lot but I know pocket watches don't sell for a lot :D

It is a Elco 17 Jewel Incabloc pocket watch apart from that here are the pics I've tried to catch every angle the movement looks to be in good condition/regularly serviced. I'll most likely go to my local AD and have him check her out but I want a opinion from the forum here before hand :D.

From what I can see it looks to be a 2 tone, (if in fact there is gold thats filled/plated or solid gold but I don't see any markings on her to indicate as such on the caseback itself. It looks to have a bit of "copper" Color (that could be just something that is tarnished?) I can only see 5 jewels and it says 17 but I'm assuming that the others are "closed" since the majority of the movement looks to be housed in a pretty solid construction.

From my research I've been able to come up with the movement Elco used L190 is consistant with the marking on the movement in my watch. The markings on the caseback also co-incide with the company "Keystone" that cased some of Elco's products.

I appreciate any help you can give me in seeing if I picked up a fake or the real thing if it is real would someone be knowledgable enough to know the year of this watch?

I've found this site and its helped a lot in getting info. on the watch, but I wanted to post here since this is one of my fav. watch sites first :D

Keystone Watch Case Co. - National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Message Board

via this article it is:

Rolled Gold Plate, guaranteed for 10 years, a grade obtained from H. Muhr's Sons via the Philadelphia Watch Case Co.

due to the Victory insignia? Rolled Gold is similar to Gold Plate?

Anyway down to the pics:
    Front

Back

Top:

Movement:

Caseback #1:

#2 Zoomed (I'll try to get a better pic. later I didn't realise it was this bad till I actually uploaded it:

Side:

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Elco Pocket Watch Fake or Real?

It looks genuine from here. Movement carries the maker's name and also states that it has Incabloc shock proofing. The case and dial style is about 1920s onward, the Incabloc makes it post WWII. The movement is an Unitas calibre, e.g. the Cal. 34:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 34

Hartmut Richter

Thank you so much for your quick response :D and the very useful site :)

Any more info. from other members would be appreciated :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I wonder what those small dots indicate?
    Looks very clean. Nice watch made in the twighlight of PW manufacturing!

I'd guess the dots mean servicing, honestly I have no clue at all :D

Very interesting. The 2adj on the movment usually makes me think 20's or 30's, but Incabloc didn't come out until the mid 30's. Still, it could be later part of the 30's. The cap jewel on the escape wheel means that there likely isn't a jewel on the dial side of the center wheel (fairly common layout designed to allow them to hit the magic "17 jewel" level that most people associate with good-quality watches). The dots on the inside caseback are over top some words, which is also interesting. Given the possible dates, maybe this was a stock case made for a specific watchmaker (I think Waltham was using Keystone cases, for example) and was repurposed due to war rationing.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Is there a serial number database for these watches? Because I can see a serial number and that must mean something :D I just can't decode the year :D

Just to update +Better pic: I think the dots that cover some writing might be covering: 10k Rolled Gold Plate. I have found a similar Keystone "Victory" caseback and thats exactly what is listed under the Victory slogan. And it just about fits the words that are missing.

Thank you all for helping me out :) I'm going to take her in to my local Omega AD to have her checked out etc :)

Thread Information