Electric Pacer only runs dial-down - fixable?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Electric Pacer only runs dial-down - fixable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Electric Pacer only runs dial-down - fixable?

Folks,

I'm pretty universally a Japanese watch collector, but came upon a nice example of a Hamilton Electric Pacer (oddly, with a Ventura dial) at too good a price to pass up. I picked up the Rene-recommended battery option, the 387s, and carefully installed it. The watch takes right off, and seems to run strong, but the moment I turn it right-side up, or even on its side at some angles, it stops within a few seconds. I know the watches are very difficult to work on, and I'm somewhere below an amateur tinkerer, so I'm afraid if it's not an easy fix I'll probably just sell it, but am hoping not to. Any tips?

A (lousy phone) pic for goodwill:

Name:  Pacer.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  1.67 MB
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Electric Pacer only runs dial-down - fixable?

It could be a balance issue. Try letting it run next to your ear and slowly turn it over. Do you hear a rubbing sound or a metallic ding sound?
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedtowatches View Post
    It could be a balance issue. Try letting it run next to your ear and slowly turn it over. Do you hear a rubbing sound or a metallic ding sound?
    Not that I can hear. It just sort of goes from ticking loudly to ticking softly to stopping. No discernible change in tone or character of the ticking...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Actually, one other weird quirk. I just tried to set it while it was running (upside down), and when I moved the hands the second hand would quickly zoom forward. It did that each time I moved the hands until the watch just stopped again, even though I was still holding it upside down. I have no idea of what that means, if anything, but thought I'd throw it out there.

It could be the contacts are dirty or loose Rene Rondeau - Model 500, 500A and 505 - What's the Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by mikmis View Post
    It could be the contacts are dirty or loose Rene Rondeau - Model 500, 500A and 505 - What's the Difference?
    That's interesting. Is there any chance I could fix that myself? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not even really sure what the contacts are, looking at photos of the movement.

The diagram in the third picture shows the contacts blown up in the left hand upper corner.I think you would have to find a watchmaker that works on these.http://www.timepiecechronicle.com/fe...aconstellation.It could also be that the cell strap is bent try holding it in place with your finger and see if it runs with a little pressure on it.
    Last edited by mikmis; November 18th, 2015 at 06:19.

Thanks! It's definitely not the battery strap, unfortunately. And thanks much for the photo of the contacts. I do fear that's a little more complicated than anything I could handle, unfortunately. Appreciate the tips, all!

Talk to Jarett Harkness. HAMILTON ELECTRIC WATCHES By Unwind In Time - Welcome

I'll take your word on the dial as my book's at home right now. Even if it's a bit of a franken, it's still worth it to get fixed up, in my opinion.

I'm not sure exactly how, but I think I managed to fix it. I think there was some interplay with a problem as to how the second hand was attached, because it eventually fell off and when it was replaced the watch started running smoothly in all positions. Maybe the second hand was catching on the minute hand? Didn't look like it, but all's well that ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    I'll take your word on the dial as my book's at home right now. Even if it's a bit of a franken, it's still worth it to get fixed up, in my opinion.
    I am pretty curious about this. Are indices even replaceable? I wouldn't think you could take a Ventura dial and somehow switch out just the indices from a Pacer dial.

Thanks again, to all.
    mikmis and Shum like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information