Elgin A-11 WWII watch

Thread: Elgin A-11 WWII watch

Banned

Elgin A-11 WWII watch

Hey guys - a favor. Have a look at this and tell me if it looks original:

It was sent to me from somebody who was a bomber in WWII and is the last surviving member of the crew. I just want to make sure it's authentic before I sink anything in to repairing / servicing it.

Thanks!

Re: Elgin A-11 WWII watch

The caseback looks authentic, but I have reservations about the dial. Beyond that, we'd need to see the movement to tell you more. The caseback indicates 1945; the movment will have a serial number which should date to reasonably close to that.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Visually, it looks legit. The crown looks to have been replaced. You have a three-piece, non-waterproof case. If your Elgin is a "hacking" version, it should be a Grade 539 movement. Non-hacking version are either a Grade 580 or Grade 554. The dial looks legit, to me.

Abslom is right about viewing the movement and getting the serial #. You can enter the serial number into an Elgin database and it will tell you the date made, grade, # of jewels, etc.

To learn more about your watch, look for Military Timepieces, by Marvin Whitney & TM 9-1575 U.S Military tech manual. These two resources will tell you everything you need to know about your watch.

Clayton
    CCO

"Every New Beginning Comes from Some Other Beginning's End." - Dan Wilson-

On the Wrist: (not all at once)
    -Ball Mechanical, 1950's; -Ball Automatic, 1960's; -Ball Auto, 10kgf, 1980's; -Ball Trainmaster Small Seconds (white), 2007, & Trainmaster Arabic Chonometer (champange dial), 2010 and Various WW-II, military-issue Bulovas', Elgins', Hamitons' & Walthams'. Even a rare Longines Officer's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I collect a lot of military stuff these days looks right to me here is mine.

All A-11 had a hack movement's and all Elgin A-11 had a grade 539 with ether a 15 or 16 jewel movement.It's easy to show the movement the cover unscrews.
    Last edited by river rat; January 8th, 2010 at 04:48.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    All A-11 had a hack movement's and all Elgin A-11 had a grade 539 with ether a 15 or 16 jewel movement.It's easy to show the movement the cover unscrews.
    That's what I was just doing:

Looks like the serial number dates it to 1943: http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgi...&action=search

Thanks for the assistance gentlemen!

Very finite example~Cheers!

Nice movement that's what's called a gold flash movment if you look at mine you will see steel parts treated with black oxidized finish the gold flash and oxidized finish was done due to the early movement's were all steel and got corrosion and this help prevent it.

Here's my completely original (grandfather's) same era but non-military Elgin.

"My grail showed up today"

Thread Information