Elgin 16s disassembly and post mortem...

Thread: Elgin 16s disassembly and post mortem...

Elgin 16s disassembly and post mortem...

The other night I disassembled my 1909 Elgin pocket watch (16s, grade 290, class 109). It belonged to my mother's father or grandfather (I forget) and hasn't run since I can remember. This is the first watch I took down to bare components.

I have to thank CARPATH for his great thread and pictures: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=363083

Truth be told, I started the job without having seen his thread and so I did things a bit out-of-order. But, having taken it apart, I now know what not to do! Here is what I found:

1) loose entry pallet stone.
    2) balance staff tip broken.
    3) upper balance jewel (hole) broken.

I am currently Ebay-ing for replacement movements (broken and semi-running) to try to gather the components I need to fix it. I was also told about http://ptpwp.com/ ... they seem to have what I need but are rather expensive.

So, without further ado, here are the pics (not necessarily in order):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by lord_rayleigh; April 17th, 2010 at 17:06.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Elgin 16s disassembly and post mortem...

Thanks for the very good post, you are doing well with your grade 290! Please post a picture of the complete watch before you started at the ongoing 7 jewel thread.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Thread Information