Elgin, 1822 watch, other watches.

Thread: Elgin, 1822 watch, other watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Elgin, 1822 watch, other watches.

Looking to find information on these watches and how much I might could get out of them;

This Watch is 1822 England as indicated by the hallmark
    It is pretty worn down, yet it still functions, although may need to be oiled up a little bit.

This watch I thought was a 10k or 14k White gold fill, but I am uncertain, it gives off that gold tone all throughout the watch, front and back. The Eagle I have seen on many watches replicated time and time again, but its not the exact image with the background off to the right corner nor is it the same watch. The 2nd picture is the inside of it, its going to look exactly like the next watch I will show of the Mercedes but says Majestic Antimagnetic.

This is the similar one to the one above, this is a Mercedes watch, it says 1909, But I would believe both of these watches are no older then at least Pre 1970, but I am not entirely sure on it, this I do not believe is gold filled though, but maybe gold plated if that. Both watches have at the bottom Hong Kong, which is not too assuring IMO when talking value.

Saving the best for last, is a 10kt or 14kt white gold filled Elgin.
    I was told by a jeweler it was gold filled, possibly 18 or 21 jewel, seeing the movement of this watch has been a challenge, the back is hard to screw off, jeweler couldnt even do it and he recommended me to someone who probably could do it, but I never did manage to get ahold of him, you take off the front crystal and pull up the lever to change the time, the stem changes the time back and forth moving the hands, when the lever is pushed in, the stem clicks when moved in counter clockwise motion, it cannot be moved in clockwise motion however, not sure how this watch functions if its a wind up.

Re: Elgin, 1822 watch, other watches.

The Elgin is most likely a BW Raymond 21 jewel wovement.It is lever set you unscrew the front cover there will be a lever you pull the lever out and turn crown to change the time push the lever in and then wind it and it's ready yo go.But don't do it untill you get that service that rust color on the dial show's that water got in some how and the movement is in need of a service there are still a lot of parts around so if you find a good watch maker that works on vintage watches he should be able to get that going.Don't try to wind it until you get it service or you could damage it more.

We don't do valuations. The posts at the top of the forum page say why.

But watches are almost never worth what folks at first think... The Elgin is the only decent watch. The English silver watch is collectable but much depends on condition. The Mercedes is a modern quartz probably no older that 1990. The other looks to be non-collectible too.

That said, someone on eBay will buy anything -- and that person sure is buying a lot!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    We don't do valuations. The posts at the top of the forum page say why.

But watches are almost never worth what folks at first think... The Elgin is the only decent watch. The English silver watch is collectable but much depends on condition. The Mercedes is a modern quartz probably no older that 1990. The other looks to be non-collectible too.

That said, someone on eBay will buy anything -- and that person sure is buying a lot!
    well I know the Eagle and Mercedes is older then 1990 because they were passed down to me, and in knowing about them, I know they were at least collected before 1990, probably 1970s is when all of them were purchased at numerous locations and thrift stores. I wont rule out them being bought around the early 1980s either.

But they do look pretty modern, most likely battery operated.

I doubt the 70s for the quartz watches. In the 70s very few vendors made analog quartz and they were very expensive. (Of course, in the 60s quartz watches were non-existent.) Cheap quartz did not come into being until the 80s and did not become the norm until the 90s.)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The Elgin BW Raymond is what's called a railroad standard watch. As the others have said, this is probably the only one with any real value, but even then we wouldn't be able to say what that is. Properly serviced and cleaned, it could look very smart and would be capable of keeping very accurate time.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

The "English" watch has a cylinder movement, probably Swiss made.

The two quartz watches may have some collectors interest in a century or two.

The Elgin, the only watch with any collector interest, appears to be of late 1940s-early 1950s vintage based on the dial and case design. a sharp close-up of the movement would be definitive.

<snort> They're quartz. The plastics will have broken down and rendered the chips useless in a century. Now if you retrofit a nice slim mechanical in there...
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    <snort> They're quartz. The plastics will have broken down and rendered the chips useless in a century. Now if you retrofit a nice slim mechanical in there...
    LOL!!

What a lovely reply you've given, Rob!!

The Elgin BW Raymond would need significant servicing and cleaning, but once it's restored, it should be a great watch. Hold onto that one, if you hold onto only one of them at all. Restored, it could get quite a bit of money. Although perhaps you'd want to keep it.

By the way, I don't think anyone's asked this yet, but...

...where did you GET these watches? How did you come by them?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

2 weeks late, but I obtained these watches from my dad, he died 5 years ago.

matter of fact though, the Elgin is a watch I had no idea existed in the collection, I use to mess around with the watches and look at them back in early 1990s, the Elgin mysteriously appeared out of no where in a old box of pictures, in which after Katrina this is where the watches were put, I dont ever recall an Elgin, the most fascinating one was the old 1822 English watch.

How much do you think it cost to repair these watches? the Elgin may need new crystal and it does not wind up, assuming I am messing with it right, the Silver 1822 one needs a crystal, I think it might have the screw on for the crystal still on it though. the 1822 one functions but may need a slight oil as it winds up with the key and runs, but has a tendency to stop, you tap it and it will go again.

But yeah those other watches have been in that collection since before 1990, (1970s? 1980s early?) and I assume those are watches in which they use a battery, not sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information