Elgin 1946 Deluxe

Thread: Elgin 1946 Deluxe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Elgin 1946 Deluxe

Hi.

First timer at this website and although I am not a watchy kind of person I do love my 2 Elgins.

The Elgin in the photo is my second purchase and has a slightly interesting story, read on if you have some spare time!

I bought my first Elgin in about 1989 which I still wear now and then. In 1993 I was in Chicago for a few days (I'm Australian) and went out to the town of Elgin out of curiosity to find not very much but I did go into Shockey Jewelers and purchased this Elgin. The serial number is V324524 which dates it to 1946 (I think) though I have not opened the watch but taken the serial number from the side of the cardboard box.
    A tag says it has never been worn which made it more tempting to buy plus it is the full package, cardboard box, hard case, original strap and a little foil tag thingy. But for some reason the crystal has a small chip out of one corner and it can fall out, I need to get that fixed. I have since wondered if Shockey Jewelers have huge boxes of unused never sold Elgins out in the back storeroom! Maybe not as there were very few watches to choose from. I must admit I don't like the design that much, my other Elgin looks much better.

Cheers, Ian

Q: Can anyone tell me what the number 6715A represents? It's also on the cardboard box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Elgin 1946 Deluxe

6715A is some sort of Elgin grade/reference number/SKU needed for parts. The Elgin database is down right now so I can't research it any further.
    Shugart quotes the V as meaning the first two digits in the serial number. That would mean the actual serial number would be 46324524, dating the watch to 1948. Other sources quote 1946.
    It looks like quite a handsome watch with fancy case lugs.
    Please get it serviced. Even though it is NOS it is at least. 60 years old and should not be run without cleaning and lubrication. Otherwise it will destroy itself in short order.
    Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; September 16th, 2008 at 14:58.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Perhaps because of the chipped crystal this watch either did not pass QC inspection or was returned from a store for that reason. Elgin probably had a bunch of those unworn "seconds" and this local jeweller found an opportunity to buy some.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In any event it's pretty easy to get a replacement crystal for one of these vintage Elgins - plus get the watch serviced at the same time.
    Perhaps you have already got it serviced since it appears you've had the watch for some years.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi.
    Thanks for the info. I have not had it serviced but I have not really used it for years, just stored away. I will get it looked at. Thinking about selling it if possible or I might give it to a friend who would wear it and appreciate it as I feel it is going to waste being horded away by me.

Thanks.

It's not going to bring a huge amount if you sell, so I would recommend giving it to someone who would value it because it belonged to you. That's the best thing about Vintage watches - passing them on.

I know a guy who dresses like it's 1946 so it will suit him!

Well I was born in 1946 so it would obviously suit me.

Does anyone know what is happening with elginwatches.org?

It's still down and I miss it

It's yours Ray, just come over and pick it up !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information