ELGIN 673 U-S-A in details
Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By pmwas
  • 1 Post By GeneJockey

Thread: ELGIN 673 U-S-A in details

ELGIN 673 U-S-A in details

Hello!
    Today I'm working on an Elgin wristwatch I recently bought.
    Initially, I had to repair the balance assembly, namely clean the hairspring of oil and put it back on the balance staff. Now - why was the hairspring off the staff - I ust don't know. I thought it was broken off at the collet, seeing the balance rotate freely, but no - it had been purposely taken off the staff...

Name:  DSC00078.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  96.1 KB

Here's the movement disassembled to parts. I left the setting lever and clutch lever spring on the pillar plate, otherwise it's fully disassembled.
    Thus, I had to begin with oiling and reassembling the balance bearings...

Name:  DSC00079.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  281.2 KB

Elgin's balance cocks have a space milled down to fit the cap jewel setting. This makes it easier to work on - the cap jewel setting is well centered all the time and just needs rotating to align the holes...

Name:  DSC00082.JPG
Size:  762.0 KB

I then reassembled the setting mechanism.
    Elgin's setting mechanisms are quite friendly to assemble.
    Because the setting lever spring - built in the steel setting bridge - is rather strong, I screw the bridge down (but not all the way down) first, and then energize the spring in setting position. Then I tighten the screws.

Name:  DSC00088.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  313.0 KB

The watch has a simple gear train. There is an all steel Swiss double roller lever escapement, mirror polished.
    Now - i put on the bridges and assemble the click.

Name:  DSC00091.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  577.4 KB

Interestingly - I assumed the click spring should be against the first, longer tooth of the click, but no, it should be placed right between the teeth.
    Or - at least - assembled like in the first (red crossed) picture, it won't work and the spring will jump of between the teeth again.
    Anyhow - placed between the teeth, it works perfectly.

Name:  DSC00095.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  355.1 KB

The movement nearly done.
    All that's left is the motion works...

Name:  DSC00098.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  406.1 KB

And there...

Name:  DSC00104.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  437.8 KB

Assembled and running.

Name:  DSC00108.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  129.5 KB

It's a bit of a mismatch - the solid gold bracelet and just gold plated watch, but it looks very good. And - also - I just don't have a strap at the moment, so - why not :) ?

Back to the 673 movement - it's a beauty and true engineering maestria. It's extremely thought of and refined.
    Every time I work on a 20th Century Elgin (it's not so obvious in the earlier ones) - they are a true pleasure to work on, no matter on size and model.
    This here is a basic model, but hides remarkable quality under plain, simple finish.

Name:  DSC00102.JPG
Size:  179.2 KB

Conclusions? The more I have them, the more I adore them. Elgin rules (one might exclaim) !
    Have a great day!!!

Re: ELGIN 673 U-S-A in details

Awesome case too! And in such great condition. Thank you for an interesting and informative post.

Excellent presentation! I don't know the name of that one. It's not in the 1954 catalog on VWF, and the 1955 doesn't have the index pages.

That particular movement dates to the end of the 15/0s. After the I-prefix series (55,000,000), Elgin stopped putting serial numbers on anything but their 571 BW Raymond 16s railroad watch movements, and for those they used a block of numbers in the I-series, for as long as they kept making them.

If you like the 673, though, you'll LOVE the 670! Probably the only Tonneau-shaped 21j movement with the cap jewels all in the proper place for a 21j watch! (upper and lower Escape and Pallet). Most others just capped the upper 4th and 3rd wheel jewels.
    pmwas likes this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes... in fact I used to have a lovely divers' 670 watch, but long ago I sold it for next to nothing... I was young and foolish ;)
    Have a great day!!!

I think watch repair and restoration is an awesome hobby - thanks for the cool post.

Quote Originally Posted by pmwas View Post
    Yes... in fact I used to have a lovely divers' 670 watch, but long ago I sold it for next to nothing... I was young and foolish ;)
    What are you using for a camera? Your pics are great, with nice depth of focus.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Very nice job and detailed info! Great post and nice watch!
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Great post, like seeing others that are doing watch work from an avocational pursuit. The documentation of it is nice as others may want to follow along.

A question.... why are you using that specific holder for the movement as you work? Have you thoughts on the bergeon 4040 style of movement holder?

I left the setting lever and clutch lever spring on the pillar plate,

I do that all the time.

What kind of cleaner did you use?

Thank you for sharing!
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Simply - that's the only holder I have ;)
    I work on what I have (thanks to a Friend who shared some of his stuff I have some tools to speak of) and I still need to get more tools and more proper tools, but I don't have time or funds ;)
    I always say - I'm not a pro, don't learnt my techniques, I just aim to show the movements I work on :D
    Have a great day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pmwas View Post
    I just aim to show the movements I work on :D
    Well then, keep the posts coming. I enjoy the vicarious nature of other people's watch projects.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Thread Information