Elgin B.W. Raymond

Thread: Elgin B.W. Raymond

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Elgin B.W. Raymond

Does anyone know if the Elgin 730a movement is chronometer grade? If so what were the chronometer standards in the late 1950's and 60's?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Elgin B.W. Raymond

I believe that only certain observatories were allowed to certify chronometers so railroad grade watches were not chronometers. I do believe that they did approximate chronometers in accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by phillips667 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Elgin 730a movement is chronometer grade? If so what were the chronometer standards in the late 1950's and 60's?
    I believe american watch companies would have built watches to conform to the american railroad standard. I'm not aware of any of them seeking chronometer certification.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unless you are talking about marine chronometers the term "chronometer" is primarily a Swiss marketing description. U. S. made RR watches had to stay within 30sec/week as well as being adjusted for temperature, position and isochronism. That's basically a rate of 4 seconds a day which is within current Swiss COSC chronometer spec. Some of us would say that current Swiss made chronometers have to be up to American standards.

I think at this point it should be said that the Elgin 730A is railroad grade.

Waltham Premier Maximus in 1915 came in a sterling silver box with Kew certificate specially written for each watch. U.K. observatory 45 day trial at Richmond, Surrey National Observatory. New price at that time $400. In 1931 was $732. without mention of Kew cert. and silver box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; June 21st, 2010 at 20:23.

As mentioned in other post...chronometer was a term for the Swiss watches that met the observatory standards. Railroad watches fell under the "Ball" standard, which is a similar standard. Ball, himself, never made watches...he just came up with the standards. Some history here...we have all heard of Ball...it is where the term...On The Ball came from. If you were On The Ball, you were right or accurate. As accurate as the railroad watch that met Ball standards.

what you have is one of the finest movements made in teh US. the 730a was free sprung and highly adjusted. the dial is lead to resist magnetism. it was the first wristwatch to gain railroad approval.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryT View Post
    As mentioned in other post...chronometer was a term for the Swiss watches that met the observatory standards.
    I wish people would quit insisting that chronometers are Swiss. I know of Swiss, German, and English observatories that certified chronometers. With the advent of the cesium atomic clock observatory certification became unnecessary. I believe the Swiss with the COSC system are the only ones still certifying chronometers but the Germans and Japanese both have similar standards.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodschwartz View Post
    what you have is one of the finest movements made in teh US. the 730a was free sprung and highly adjusted. the dial is lead to resist magnetism. it was the first wristwatch to gain railroad approval.
    Quite right except for antimag dial being iron. I am tempted to buy one now advertized $400 in 14k solid case fine condition I think is fair price. I have a cheap looking late U.S. model with dial side opening very thin case that has the late model special balance but without adjustments. Were all late ones made with spiral spoke balance?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information