Elgin deluxe pocket watch info
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeneJockey

Thread: Elgin deluxe pocket watch info

Elgin deluxe pocket watch info

New to pocket watches and was curious if anyone knows anything about this piece.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Elgin deluxe pocket watch info

It looks a little like at least inter-war, if not post-WWII. A movement picture would certainly help. Nice looking watch.

Hartmut Richter

Re: Elgin deluxe pocket watch info

This belongs to Elgin's 10s series of pocket watches, introduced in about 1939. There came in 3 levels: the 15j 546 powering the 'Elgin' grade; the 17j 542 in the 'Elgin DeLuxe' grade, and the 21j 543 in the top-of-the-line 'Lord Elgin' grade. I have evidence that both the 542 and 543 were made after 1955, at least for a while. I did a blog post on these last year. They're interesting movements that have more in common with Elgin's contemporary wrist watch movements than their earlier pocket watch movements.

Yours most likely carries a 542, unless it's had another movement swapped in. The 'dp' symbol on the dial indicates it was equipped with a Durapower mainspring, Elgin's white alloy, unbreakable mainspring which they introduced with great fanfare in 1947. So, without seeing the movement, I can only surmise it was made somewhere between 1947 and 1957.

The case material should be marked on the inside of the caseback, and also sometimes on the case center piece or frame, at about 6:00. The serial number on the movement would allow us to date the watch more precisely.

Nice watch! I believe that style of case was made to recall Elgin's 'Corsican' series of watches from the 1920s, which had bows that, like yours, resemble Napoleon's hat - hence 'Corsican'.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Thread Information