Elgin durapower?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gumby992

Thread: Elgin durapower?

Elgin durapower?

I just picked up an old Elgin durapower watch at the goodwill yesterday. It looks nice and seems to be keeping good time. I haven't opened it up to look at the movement. It appears to be a fully stainless case. The second hand is tipped with a red arrow. The lume dots have aged to a nice orange color. The dial is uncluttered with only the name Elgin.

Does anyone have any insight to the age of this watch without knowing the movement serial number?

The band is broken in one place. Any suggestions for a replacement band you think would look nice with this piece?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Elgin durapower?

I would say 1960s based on style alone, but that's a guess, and the movement or case-back might provide more information (especially if it is from earlier than the 1960s). The texture on the dial is very cool, and the SS case has an interesting shape and looks great. The pointer hand is a nice touch. I have some doubts about the font on the dial.

You have unlimited options for straps and bands on this watch.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Elgin's "DuraPower" mainsprings were introduced in 1947. That sets an earliest date for any DuraPower equipped watch, but yours appears to be a 1950s design. I'd have expected the dial to originally carry a "dp" logo. The serial number off the movement would enable a production date to be established.
    badbackdan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Late 50s - which means no movement serial number, whether the movement is Swiss or American. The dial has probably been redone, because there should be a 'dp' logo underneath the 'ELGIN', and almost certainly it should say 'Swiss Made' at the bottom of the dial.

I have this model with a black dial. Mine has a Swiss 630 movement, which appears to be one Elgin designed, rather than an off-the-shelf movement from Schild or LIP. The parts of the 630 are interchangeable with the US-built 13/0 711 series movements. I've also seen this model with the 629 movement, which is a Font 28 movement. The 630 is a 17j movement with the same complex indirect sweep second drive as the US-built 716 and 724 movements. It's finicky, and if not put together right leads to the second hand moving in jerks and jumps, so one often finds these with no second hand.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give the case a thorough cleaning tonight and I'll open it up then. I'll post a shot of the movement when I do.

Is it possible to remove a link from a band like this? It's a little large on my wrist anyway, and I could remove the broken link. I might see how it looks on a NATO strap as well.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Normally, one can remove links from these Speidel bands. But then, one might think about removing the entire band and replacing it with something like a leather strap. These Speidels eat away at the lugs.

I'm sorry but when I saw that dial, I thought quite the opposite to "Cool texture" - more like "Dial vandalism"! A definite candidate for the "Worst redial" thread.....

Hartmut Richter

The dial texture is cool... Well, it was cool, before it was taken care of by a...ummmm, "restorer" is not the right word...maybe a baboon with a paintbrush?
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Here are a couple close ups of the dial. I thought the case was a press back, but I can't find a notch anywhere for a case knife. It may be beyond my meager skill to open it so as to have a look at the movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

A lot (most?!) of the numerals aren't centred on the texture pattern so they have been applied post hoc. That, in turn, doesn't guarantee that the texture was there before either. The dead white colour shows that the dial has been completely repainted too. Add to that the trashy "Elgin" logo and the whole thing is a complete dog's dinner!

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information