Elgin/Fahys Montauk Pat 1879?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: Elgin/Fahys Montauk Pat 1879?

Elgin/Fahys Montauk Pat 1879?

I had forgotten all about this watch for a long time. My father got it at a flea market in the mid-1990s and I carried it for a while trying to be cool in high school. It can't be wound right now but can be set, and could possibly be repaired, but I don't know if it's worth fixing, or even if it's real:
    Name:  DSC_0294.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  338.9 KB
    Name:  DSC_0295.JPG
Views: 506
Size:  349.7 KB
    Name:  DSC_0297.JPG
Views: 504
Size:  359.8 KB
    S/N 3704419 on the movement.
    Name:  DSC_0296.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  299.1 KB
    Fahys Montauk Case, Pat. April 22, 1879

Is this a watch or should I give it to my wife to make steampunk things?
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Re: Elgin/Fahys Montauk Pat 1879?

It's a lovely old Elgin 18sz pocket watch from 1890 (Elgin Pocket Watch Serial Number 3704419 Information). Fairly easy to fix for someone who knows how. It'd be a shame to see a functional 120 year old piece of history get ripped apart for "art", but that's your call. Not sure what that pat. refers to; the only "watchcase" related patent filed on that date is for a swing-out case.
    Lord Monocle likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Re: Elgin/Fahys Montauk Pat 1879?

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    It's a lovely old Elgin 18sz pocket watch from 1890 (Elgin Pocket Watch Serial Number 3704419 Information). Fairly easy to fix for someone who knows how. It'd be a shame to see a functional 120 year old piece of history get ripped apart for "art", but that's your call. Not sure what that pat. refers to; the only "watchcase" related patent filed on that date is for a swing-out case.
    Oh no, I meant if it's fake, it gets turned into a brooch or something. I'll happily start looking for someone to fix it since it's not. I actually wouldn't mind carrying it again once in a great while. It's in pretty attractive shape for its age.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Thread Information