Elgin grade 345 1922

Thread: Elgin grade 345 1922

Elgin grade 345 1922

This is my Elgin 12s grade 345 17 jewels from 1922. It resides in a Philadelphia Watch Case Co. 'Victory' case. The watch is running, but clearly needs service. I have decided to make this the subject of my first attempt of watchmaking... I got it for a very affordable price, and total grade 345 production run was 730900 pcs, so it will not be a total disaster if I screw it up... I will be prepared with the minimum of proper tools and reference guidebooks though. This is hopefully not the last chance to show it here, but who knows. Unless someone thinks this model is not the best candidate for an amateur to start with?

Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Re: Elgin grade 345 1922

I would probably choose a 7 jewel cheapie to screw up but this one isn't too bad a choice. It might be better to just get a junk donation movement and take it apart then see if you can reassemble it.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Good advice, Ray. I might just follow that, and spare this one for now.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If I was attempting watch-repairs (and I wouldn't try that even with perfect eyesight, which I don't have), I certainly wouldn't use that.

There are hundreds, thousands, maybe even millions of cheap, no-name, crappy watches out there. To learn the BASICS, I would start with one of those. In fact, I would start with SEVERAL of those. And THEN move onto watches which bear famous brand-names on their dials/movements. I would rather send THIS watch to an expert.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Shangas, this watch will be spared from me generating immediate destruction upon it. However, the purpose of venturing into this is to learn more about the watches I love, and as such I will look for another American made low jewel count high production number watch. It will not be a dollar watch, as that would not be representative for the watches I want to study.

Hmm, I do have a bit confidence in myself and I promise that if I screw up I will pay my long time friend and watchmaker to correct any mistake I do. How about that?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I'm sure you will have the ability to do it Erik. Your technical knowledge is first rate. All you need is good hand eye co-ordination and a mechanical aptitude. Both of these I lack so for me to do my own repairs would be like personal brain surgery - not a good idea.
    JohnF has become pretty accomplished though so you can ask him for pointers - or visit the pros in the watchmaking forum.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; April 23rd, 2009 at 23:15.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

+1

I practice on a slew of ancient, beaten ladies' movements that I picked up on eBay for a pittance. Ladies' movements are hard to work on (so small) and a great way to learn how to handle all those tiny parts.

You can often find "lots" of movements on eBay, usualyl from someone cleaning up after a watchmaker dies or retires, more often than not they're fairly junky movements, but at really low prices.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information