Elgin/Illinois/Philadelphia Franken Watch

Thread: Elgin/Illinois/Philadelphia Franken Watch

Elgin/Illinois/Philadelphia Franken Watch

Hey you guys just wanted to share a little bay horror story...

Decided to buy a watch on a whim on the bay awhile back, looked like a great little vintage watch in an awesome cushion case. I could not find any info on this Elgin at all, and the only picture that was supplied was tiny and just a face shot, no data on it, but i pulled the trigger anyway...

this is what i got: A 1932 6j yellow gold filled Elgin 6 eater movement, in a 1929 Illinois art deco case, with a Philadelphia stamped case back, and blued hands.

Killer brassing at corners... but i still like the look of this watch even though its in such shape.

http://www.fathertimeantiques.com/product.php?sku=W2296 thats a site for comparison.

I have heard that in the past people would replace movements in their older watches, and these were interchangeable between the larger brands, is this true? but who would go though to change the face and hands as well?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Elgin/Illinois/Philadelphia Franken Watch

The movement is a 4/0 hunter 7 jewels grade 485 elgin from 1932 all right. The case is for a slightly larger 3/0 watch it seems. This sort of Frankenwatch activity happens a fair bit on eBay,
    It was fairly common back in the day to case up the movement at the jeweler but this just looks like a Frankenwatch to me. However if you like the watch, no problem.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The case may have been used by others besides the Illinois Watch Co. as it comes from a manufacturer who built generic cases. It looks like the Elgin movement may not have been original to the case - you have a closer look than we do.

But I kind of like the character of the watch...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input you guys. I took another look today and I think the movement is actually smaller than this case. The movement is actually held down into the larger case not by the side screws but by an addition of 2 bits of scrap metal.

Do you think its worth looking for an original movement and dial to place back into this watch? Or should I just not bother with such a case that is pretty beat up?

Your cheapest alternative is to find another watch entirely... but if the movement doesn't rattle in the case, why not keep what you have?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Teo

I definitely like it the way it is.
    BTW, the strela you are waiting for is a vintage one?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo View Post
    I definitely like it the way it is.
    BTW, the strela you are waiting for is a vintage one?
    Oh I wish it was, Its actually based on the newer 3133 movement, but its a sub 50 out of 500. It has the traditional palette hands but English lettering for export.

Kind of the spur of the moment decision since my brother just picked up a zenith with an el primero, and a strela fit my budget for a chono. still looking for a nice vintage speedmaster though, thats my grail watch.

btw, did more research hamilton also made very similar watches in the same size, in that period also, so the movments probably all could have interchanged.

http://vintagewatch.info/Detail%20-%...White%20GF.htm

Thread Information