Elgin Master Navigational (AN5740) watch (GCT) WW2

Thread: Elgin Master Navigational (AN5740) watch (GCT) WW2

Picture Elgin Master Navigational (AN5740) watch (GCT) WW2

Here is a Elgin Master Navigational (GCT) AN5740 it was issued to the US Army Air Corps in WW2 You dont see Elgin (GCT) Watches that often you see the Hamiltons (GCT) version more.serial no 41754171 made in 1942 but issued in 1943,adjusted to 5 positions,16 size,you will see it's marked 21 jewels but it's 22 jewels when they added the hacking device it's in a carring case made by Brooklyn Electronic Corp the case was a magneticshielded,shock-absorbent metal canister and durring WW2 a lot of companies started making stuff for the war effort like this electronic co.

Re: Elgin Master Navigational (AN5740) watch (GCT) WW2

Almost identical dial to the GCT watch I posted. But a wonderful case!! Is this in your collection?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: Elgin Master Navigational (AN5740) watch (GCT) WW2

Yes it sure is I got this by accident I was seaching the net found this aviation store that sold WW2 stuff they had these canister watch carring cases the paint was coming off them I bought one to see what shape they were in they cleaned up nice I sanded it down used painter's tape over the glass and brass spay painted it and it looked good then I saw what they were going for on the bay and called and got the last one $50.00 is what they were going for.I sold one I wish I did not sell it but I am keeping this one.

Thread Information