Elgin national pocket watch

Thread: Elgin national pocket watch

Elgin national pocket watch

Well it has been a while since I last visited. I have come across another find and hope someone can give me some answers on this watch.
    It is made by Elgin national watch company and has the number s/n 5615088

I haven't taken pictures yet but still working/ticking great. It appears to have a few scuff marks so I wouldn't consider it mint.

Thanks

Re: Elgin national pocket watch

According to here: [ELGIN] Online Elgin Database

Its a size 0, hunter-case, 7 jewel watch from 1894. Fairly common (315,000 exactly like it), and relatively low grade. 0 size (in 1894) would likely have been a ladies pendant watch. This ad lists it for $10 in 1896: [ELGIN] Documents and Pictures

For perspective, the average wage in 1896 was about $12 a week, so take "low grade" with a grain of salt. Buying a watch was still more like buying a major appliance back then.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the information. I know it is hard to put a price on it. Specially when what its worth is usually completely different from what someone is willing to buy it for. This was left in an old oriental jewelry box along with some jewelry, an old telescoping cigarette holder and some other misc jewelry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would take the term fairly common in context. There were a lot of them made, but not many as pocket watches, later many were converted to wristwatches. The number of pocket watches that remain is speculative but I'm guessing fairly small. Being fairly rare doesn't mean valuble because most collecters prefer watches with a higher jewel count.

Thread Information