elgin pocket watch old please help

Thread: elgin pocket watch old please help

elgin pocket watch old please help

hey i bought this off of a old lady at a flea market she was selling it as costume jewelry it was in a box of watches and it caught my eye i payed $5 for it and i just wanted some feedback on what to do and any information about what it is i ran the serial number online and it came up with this info

GRADE-157
    SIZE-16S
    YEAR-1896
    RUNS-20
    RunQty-1000
    JEWEL-7J
    CODE-o3g7p
    CLASS-40

well the watch when you try and wind it clockwise it wont move when you wind it counter clock wise it goes click click click click and then dose nothing with the hands here are pictures. thanks
    - Tyler
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by tylerstg; May 3rd, 2010 at 01:21.

Re: elgin pocket watch old please help

and another picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Tyler,

Your watch sounds like its been overwound. When you wind up a pocket watch, you turn it CLOCKWISE to wind it, but since yours won't do that, I believe that the mainspring has already been fully wound, but just isn't running.

This will require a watchmaker's services to try and fix it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi. Chances are the lubricants on the mainspring , pivots and escapement has dried up over time. The movement may also have been run dry of lubricants until the balance wore out. Only a watch repairman can tell for sure. At minimum a cleaning and reoiling will run $75.00. Repair of any worn parts would come extra.

If you have any interest in learning how to repair watches, a 16 size movement is big enough to learn on. Just read up some before starting. If it were my watch I would not put much money into having someone else repair it.

You can't overwind a watch unless you take a pair of pliers to the crown and break the mainspring. The watch needs service, however in the case of this Elgin the service would cost much more than the watch is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    You can't overwind a watch unless you take a pair of pliers to the crown and break the mainspring. The watch needs service, however in the case of this Elgin the service would cost much more than the watch is worth.
    I have a problem with this line of thinking because if you want a running pocketwatch your looking at the cost of the watch plus a service. A service done with all synthetic lubes is good for 7 to 10 years so the yearly cost is relatively small. The bigger question is what does a service cost in your area? If this watch needs any work except for a drop in mainspring and a service it's probably not worth it. A more valuble watch will justify more expensive repairs. In the end it comes down to do you value a working watch or do you want a valuable watch.

I agree here; the cost of the service is a constant factor in mechanical watch ownership regardless of the quality of the watch. With a 7 jewel, I'd argue that you probably want to have it serviced a bit more frequently though; the brass bushings are a bit more susceptible to dust in the oil, regardless of the quality of the oil.

The only real significance you're likely to find between a 7j and a higher quality movement is the relative accuracy; your typical 7j watch will vary in rate a lot more, and differences of over a minute a day shouldn't be surprising.

As for the cost of the watch, I've seen 7j watches fetch well over $100 on Ebay, if they're presented well.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information