Elgin recased to wristwatch?

Thread: Elgin recased to wristwatch?

Elgin recased to wristwatch?

The elgin data base puts this one at 1897 but it is no longer a pocket watch but in a star watch case company case that is a deco style nickle case. I'm not a watch person but is this common? (serial with NO letter prefix is 7319097 ).

Can any body offer more information?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Elgin recased to wristwatch?

If it's a pocketwatch movement, then it would've started life as a lady's huntercase pocketwatch, recased as a wristwatch probably in the 1910s/1920s.

People started recasing pocketwatches in the 1910s/20s during and after WWI.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Can i get you to post a pic of the back of the star case. I maybe able to give you a better idea of the date of the case by looking at the maker stamp. Though by the look from the cases I have seen I would guess 1919-1922. Either way star started in 1905 so it would be a recasing most likely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a recased Elgin as well. I think that they are not uncommon. Mine say hello.
    Name:  Elgin 1911 Face.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  35.5 KB

Recasing ladies pocket watches as wristwatches was fairly common. That said, its also possible that this movement sat in inventory before being cased. The listed date for the serial is the date of finishing; from there, it may have sat for a while before being sold to a jeweler, where it may have sat for more years. It could easily have simply not been sold before the great war broke out (and probably wouldn't have been sold while the war was on). After the war, public interest in wristwatches bloomed.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information