Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW - Page 2
Like Tree865Likes

Thread: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast
    28A

Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    WRUR is a typo maybe ?! No worries !

As long as Stan's fine, as the original idea of the thread was focused on his book - let's open it up to all Trench Watches !

I'm wearing a 1917 Moser Trench today anyway.....again at the risk of repeating.....

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep meant WRUW lol, it was like 2am and i was stuck at a mates house after fishing.. was a bit tired!
    Sdasurrey and busmatt like this.
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

Quote Originally Posted by 28A View Post
    Yep meant WRUW lol, it was like 2am and i was stuck at a mates house after fishing.. was a bit tired!
    No worries - again !!! Cheers, S

28A likes this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

28A

I'm just gonna sit here and admire all you blokes watches until my Borgel comes back from a service.

Lucky so and sos..
    Sdasurrey and busmatt like this.
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post

As long as Stan's fine, as the original idea of the thread was focused on his book - let's open it up to all Trench Watches !

I'm wearing a 1917 Moser Trench today anyway.....again at the risk of repeating.....

Gotta love that Moser.

I've no U.S made trench watch to show but as the thread has been opened up for all and sundry and also
    at the risk of repeating...

Here is my favourite 'Sunday' watch.

WW1 Stauffer, doctors watch.
    Center seconds in a gold case.

Sdasurrey, bobbee, busmatt and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Still sitting in my project box - but scheduled to for my bench soon. Here is my early style (that is right isn't it Stan?) Depollier cased Waltham...
    Attachment 2961538

It should be perfect for Stan's next book.

Yep, that is the pre-September 1917 version of the Waltham Depollier "KHAKI" Trench Watch because it does not have the "double clinched bezel".

Very nice early model.

I bought one myself just yesterday that still has the original Depollier Clasp and "No Fuss" Khaki Webbing Strap!
    busmatt and Paleotime like this.
    Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War" & "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

www.lrfantiquewatches.com

www.facebook.com/WWITrenchWatch

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Gotta love that Moser.

I've no U.S made trench watch to show but as the thread has been opened up for all and sundry and also
    at the risk of repeating...

Here is my favourite 'Sunday' watch.

WW1 Stauffer, doctors watch.
    Center seconds in a gold case.

Radger - easy to open up the thread to see a great watch like your red '12' Stauffer - much less gold and centre seconds ! I was bidding on a Stauffer trench last year (silver...) and wished I carried through - and pin set as well like the Moser - best regards on a Sunday ! Scott

busmatt and radger like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

I actually just saw this ww1 pretty unique trench ending today from Edinburgh - very large for this era 39mm engine turned silver dial no crown, pin set a restoration project of course....

Movement seems to have been cannibalised for jewels ? 7 jewels maybe originally ?

Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 15th, 2015 at 15:19.
    busmatt likes this.

This is stretching the definition of trench but consistent with thread jacking and a 'Scott Eberhard Weakness Alert' - 1920-30 nickel 42 mm Eberhard - triple signed but supposedly from EB commentary re dialed ? I spent an hour comparing it to all the Eberhard pics I have in every detail and it doesn't seem re dialed- dodgy Latin country but ok seller ?

Seems like an interesting watch.....cathedral hands seem somewhat unique for an Eberhard which are usually spear, breguet or dauphine ? But I have seen Eberhard trenches with these hands....

Articulated lugs, single button chrono......Before the Valjioux 65 or Eberhard 1600 movement was used with the extra slide button....signature looks right but is a little unique below the hands not above..... Hallmark signature looks right but I'm just not showing the pic close up...

Interesting ....Scott

PS - anyone want to comment ???!!!

Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 16th, 2015 at 00:01.
    busmatt likes this.

Probably a refinished dial
    58 bids - good luck in your bidding
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; February 16th, 2015 at 00:04.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Probably a refinished dial
    58 bids
    Yes on the bids Adam - i compared it to all the pics I have and it looks right with patina and as I said the seller says its re dialed so what tells you it's redialed ? S

Other than the seller comments on the redial..... - since I started this hobby I have become dial 'purer and purer' - I know your simplest advice is 'buy the best, NON REDIALED vintage watch you can for the money'....so at times it seems harder in some cases to be sure....what really is a re dial.... Trying to start a company with no income buying a watch at these levels is..... Questionable..or divorce precipitating.....but I haven't seen an Eberhard like this ever....

Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 16th, 2015 at 00:10.

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information