Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW - Page 3
Like Tree865Likes

Thread: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    Yes on the bids Adam - i compared it to all the pics I have and it looks right with patina and as I said the seller says its re dialed so what tells you it's redialed ? S

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well its surely relumed, but long ago.
    The hand lume match the dial lume, so if hand changed, I think then.

Its a cool watch
    Good luck in your bidding
    a
    Sdasurrey likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

but I haven't seen an Eberhard like this ever....

Good reason to suspect a redial!
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Well its surely relumed, but long ago.
    The hand lume match the dial lume, so if hand changed, I think then.

Its a cool watch
    Good luck in your bidding
    a
    Thanks - but aside from re luming what tells you the dial is re finished - I guess I wonder about the logic personally of a very old re dial - (1) why when the watch is 'newer' is a re dial required and (2) if it's not original or re dialed in fact by Eberhard in some way isn't it true the after market re dials say in the 50s hypothetically were worse than good re dialers today ? Except for complete idiots that can't spell or position the tach numerals right or the signature etc....just thinking out loud! Thanks .....Scott

Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 16th, 2015 at 00:25.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Good reason to suspect a redial!
    Watch overall ie is unique in the context of other Eberhards but not 'wrong' - not the dial being wrong except for the larger lum type numerals and the size at 42 mm - everything else in every detail on the dial - except the low signature matches exactly the closest Eberhards I can compare to...for roughly that era - movement signature is right plus the regulator fonts on the movement are right and the case signature is right with a serial number ...so the as far as I can tell the dial is right not re done so that's what I can't figure out why it's wrong.....

Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 16th, 2015 at 00:24.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Btw thanks for the dialogue late on a Sunday night...

Watch overall ie is unique in the context of other Eberhards but not 'wrong' - not the dial being wrong except for the larger lum type numerals and the size at 42 mm - everything else in every detail on the dial - except the low signature matches exactly the closest Eberhards I can compare to...for roughly that era - movement signature is right plus the regulator fonts on the movement is right and the case signature is right with a serial number ...so the as far as I can tell the dial is right not re done so that's what I can't figure out why it's wrong.....

i doubt unique, I don't believe that.
    dial and hands re lumed - no doubt.
    Signature on dial is in incorrect place. Why?

yes I am sure movement is correct.

You just want it to be all correct in case you win it?
    me? I don't take that chance
    a

and
    Adam

Ok let me put it in quotes -- 'unique' - having looked at just about every Eberhard anywhere on the web for 10 months and acquired 6 vintage - I personally haven't seen anything like this - that's unique, (1) because it's possibly a little 'stretched' as a 'real' Eberhard, (2) were some in that era were made for the military ? Was this somehow made between the 1919 first chronograph which was a single button and the 1930s two button but monopusher with the slide ? So I'm happy to put 'unique' in quotes ! So it's 2.6 times signed...

I understand you are the fairly extreme purist - personally I have moved a long way toward there but will never be into vintage watches like you are -- but I have learned to be analytical about what I see and have learned here from all the 'aficianados' plus I spend north of 50% of my time looking just at Eberhard - so there is an emotional investment there and a large set of pics to compare details - so exactly where that leaves me is..it's an 'interesting' watch...cheers...SDA
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 16th, 2015 at 01:42.

Aside from re-luming, if the numeral sizes were at all close to original, they are large enough that the normal positioning of the Eberhard art deco style signature wouldn't fit above the hands where it usually is, but not always.....one final piece of logic, every watch this seller has is repped as re-dialled......not very good.....
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 16th, 2015 at 01:26.

Well - I am no real expert...I have dials that I bought thinking they were re-done and found them to be original when I serviced the movements. I have had the opposite happen.

If the watch in question is a redial - it looks really good to me. That is a complex dial but all the indices match in alignment, texture and width. The only thing I see is the "Swiss Made" text is really close to, or maybe touching the outside line.

Thanks P - believe me I have been staring at it for 3 hours and I have downloaded 200-300 Eberhard pics from 1919 to 1950 and I can't tell what's wrong - this whole discussion is just about how do you F.... Tell the difference between 93.6684% right and '99.44 % purity' !!! Thanks !!! Scott

PS - Paleotime - you're probably not old enough to remember 60s Ivory soap commercials .....which is good for you !!!

PSS - of course the other historical fact is the early model for the Ivory Soap box, 99.44% pure became a famous adult film star, Marilyn Chambers....

Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 16th, 2015 at 01:50.

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread Information