Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW - Page 7
Like Tree865Likes

Thread: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 544
  1. #61
    Member Literustyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    651

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    You guys are just going to have to trust me on this one when I say that this sterling silver Depollier case came with a black factory finish when it was brand new.

    I currently have the Depollier documents confirming this fact, among many others.

    There were also civilian crystals and military crystal, the military crystals that Depollier used were MUCH darker than the civilian crystals.

    Sorry, but I'm just not going to post these documents online, they will be a closely guarded secret until my next book comes out in 2016.

    What do you think would make that laptop taste better? Hot sauce or mustard?

    LOL! ! ! ! !
    busmatt likes this.
    Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War" & "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

    www.lrfantiquewatches.com

    www.facebook.com/WWITrenchWatch

  2. #62
    Member radger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    N.E England
    Posts
    3,383

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    Quote Originally Posted by Literustyfan View Post
    Yep, looks like the original Khaki strap from the pics, it was dark green when it was brand new.

    But, when it arrives in about a week I'll give everything a very close inspection, including the case finish, I'll post my findings for everybody.

    Yes, it's a sterling case.

    This model only came in sterling silver or 14k solid gold.
    If as a manufacturer, you wanted a black finish on silver you surely wouldn't
    try to paint it on when a few rotten eggs will do the trick, tis in the gas.

    Silver is notoriously difficult to paint requiring acid etching primers or the likes which
    would result in finishes like on your Elgin example, I'd bet that Elgin watch is base metal.
    Have you ever came across a black painted silver case?

    If you discover that this is an aged blackened silver case rather than painted, will you polish
    it up?

  3. #63
    Member Literustyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    651

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    If as a manufacturer, you wanted a black finish on silver you surely wouldn't
    try to paint it on when a few rotten eggs will do the trick, tis in the gas.

    Silver is notoriously difficult to paint requiring acid etching primers or the likes which
    would result in finishes like on your Elgin example, I'd bet that Elgin watch is base metal.
    Have you ever came across a black painted silver case?

    If you discover that this is an aged blackened silver case rather than painted, will you polish
    it up?

    NO, this case will NOT be polished!

    Far more valuable in it's current condition.
    bobbee and busmatt like this.
    Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War" & "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

    www.lrfantiquewatches.com

    www.facebook.com/WWITrenchWatch

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #64
    Member Literustyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    651

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    The black Elgin case was made by the Illinois Watch Case Company, it is nickel.
    busmatt likes this.
    Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War" & "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

    www.lrfantiquewatches.com

    www.facebook.com/WWITrenchWatch

  6. #65
    Member radger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    N.E England
    Posts
    3,383

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    Quote Originally Posted by Literustyfan View Post
    You guys are just going to have to trust me on this one when I say that this sterling silver Depollier case came with a black factory finish when it was brand new.

    I currently have the Depollier documents confirming this fact, among many others.

    There were also civilian crystals and military crystal, the military crystals that Depollier used were MUCH darker than the civilian crystals.

    Sorry, but I'm just not going to post these documents online, they will be a closely guarded secret until my next book comes out in 2016.

    What do you think would make that laptop taste better? Hot sauce or mustard?

    LOL! ! ! ! !
    If they supplied silver with a black factory finish then I'll bet it wasn't painted on.
    Do your documents confirm this? have you saw an example of a silver case which
    has been painted?
    I'll wash the laptop down with chillie sauce if they were painted.
    busmatt likes this.

  7. #66
    Member radger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    N.E England
    Posts
    3,383

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    Quote Originally Posted by Literustyfan View Post
    NO, this case will NOT be polished!

    Far more valuable in it's current condition.
    Nice one,

    If it were mine or I were a serious prospective buyer, then I would be gutted
    to find out that you'ld cut of that original strap.

    The original strap, to me at least, would be a massive bonus, after all the watch is named after the strap....just my view.
    I'm more of a conservationist than restorer, each to there own.
    bobbee and busmatt like this.

  8. #67
    Member Literustyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    651

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    The docs do not go into detail of how the process was done to blacken the case, it only states that it was done.

    The only way to know for sure is to have the case spectro analyzed I guess.

    The original strap does not have to be cut off, it would come off without damaging it in the least bit.

    It's all in the design of the clasp that allows this to be possible.

    With other Khaki strap clasp designs this would not be possible.

    I already made a new one for it today.

    The only reason I would remove the old strap is because it probably cannot be worn, too old and I would not trust it, not worth the risk.

    The new Khaki strap can be installed and removed in about one minute and the original strap can be put back in place.

    I will OF COURSE keep the original strap with the watch!
    busmatt, radger and bobbee like this.
    Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War" & "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

    www.lrfantiquewatches.com

    www.facebook.com/WWITrenchWatch

  9. #68
    Member radger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    N.E England
    Posts
    3,383

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    Quote Originally Posted by Literustyfan View Post
    The docs do not go into detail of how the process was done to blacken the case, it only states that it was done.

    The only way to know for sure is to have the case spectro analyzed I guess.


    I will OF COURSE keep the original strap with the watch!
    Good to know that the original strap will not be destroyed.

    Spectro analysis would seem ot and uneccessary.
    Paint adds thickness, only a few microns but easily detectable with the
    thumbnail at a chipped area.

    An old oxidised silver layer will add no discernable extra thickness which can be detected
    this way, it might look like paint but it has no 'depth'.

    If the watch has been blackened by a factory process then why the stripe on the caseback
    which can be explained easily with a natural process.
    bobbee likes this.

  10. #69
    Member HOROLOGIST007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Costa Blanca Spain
    Posts
    13,373

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    In my opinion the watch in post 54 (silver) is tarnish and not paint, versus the watch in post 58 (nickel) is, in my opinion is painted.

    On reflection the two 'black' watches that I have on display at NAWCC are not silver but nickel cases, you can tell its paint by where it's chipped, there is a 'thickness' of paint between bare metal and paint.
    We al;so have one piece painted brown on permanent display, so surely never tarnish

    A
    busmatt likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

    "Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

  11. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,045

    Re: Elgin - Trench Watches of the Great War - WRUW

    Here is a 1917 D-D 'Khaki' advert. No mention of black case, case actually looks 'white' or silver.


    Name:  IMG_20150201_135353.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  64.6 KB
    Apollonaught, radger and busmatt like this.

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 10
      Last Post: February 1st, 2015, 06:10
    2. "Elgin Trench Watches of the Great War", 1st Copy ! ! ! !
      By HOROLOGIST007 in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: December 25th, 2014, 19:44
    3. New Watch Book: "Elgin Trench Watches of The Great War" by Stan Czubernat
      By Literustyfan in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: June 14th, 2014, 20:53
    4. A little birdy told me - Trench Watches of the Great War - Elgin
      By HOROLOGIST007 in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: June 11th, 2014, 23:28
    5. Replies: 0
      Last Post: August 23rd, 2011, 18:10

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •