Elgin Watch Information Needed

Thread: Elgin Watch Information Needed

Elgin Watch Information Needed

Hi All,

I'm just starting out with collecting vintage watches, I just bought an Elgin watch off eBay today and I wanted to see if any members could give me a little more information about it and whether or not they think I got ripped off.. I paid $36.00

I figured given the condition and date (1938) it seemed like a pretty good deal to me. I was able to look up the serial number and got the following information

37932245 37923001 16000 1938 524* 8/0s h3f1p 17j

I've included pictures below.

Just wondering what others thought and if they have any gems of
    advice for someone just starting out in the world of vintage watch
    collecting!

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Re: Elgin Watch Information Needed

Thanks for posting and welcome. You got a nice basic Elgin from the late 1930s. It'll need to go to a watchmaker for cleaning and lubrication if you want to keep it running for any length of time. This will cost you considerably more than you paid for the watch.
    You may need parts as well but you can usually still get these for Elgins as lots of these watches were made.
    You won't have shock or water protection so take it easy with your vintage Elgin. It's 70 years old after all.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Since you asked for advice, here's a little, watch collecting is a hobby that requires lots of education, so read and study as much as you can. If you get really involved you'll find that the learning is continuous. One advantage today is all the information available on the web. Do lots of Google searches and use the search function on this web site. If you are into vintage check out the NAWCC.org site.

Expect to make mistakes, we all do.

Nice Elgin, good beginning.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    Since you asked for advice, here's a little, watch collecting is a hobby that requires lots of education, so read and study as much as you can. If you get really involved you'll find that the learning is continuous. One advantage today is all the information available on the web. Do lots of Google searches and use the search function on this web site. If you are into vintage check out the NAWCC.org site.

Expect to make mistakes, we all do.

Nice Elgin, good beginning.
    Echo all of that!

Especially note the 'expect to make mistakes' advice. I would advise that you don't get tempted to venture into buying any of the more expensive pieces until you've acquired a bit of knowledge and experience with cheapish watches. Buying a bad $15 watch is a lot less painful than buying a bad $300 watch.

And buy things you like - not what other collectors tell you that you should like.

Last point - 'face needs a clean' - means 'the face looks awful now but will probably look even worse after someone has tried to clean it'.

Keep us posted!
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information