Elgin wristwatch

Thread: Elgin wristwatch

Elgin wristwatch

I have recently got interested in learning how to repair mechanical watch movements. I decided the best way to self educate would be to purchase a vintage "fixer-upper" off the bay to tinker on. I picked out a Elgin 624 deluxe and dated the serial number to a production year of 1949. I've been doing a lot of research and I am concerned about working on a potentially radium dialed watch. Can anyone tell by looking at the watch if this particular dail may contain radium based paint? I noticed the Crystal is not discolored.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Elgin wristwatch

I don't see any lume in here- applied gilt hour markers, no lume on hands. No, it's just a simple "tank" Elgin with corroded hands.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thank you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One more thing- if you ever get a watch with a dial and hands that have radium lume on them, it shouldn't be touching the dial or hands that might be the dangerous thing to do. OK, that too, so you will need to take the necessary precautions- I'm sure that the way a watch with radium lume should be handled can be researched without any difficulties- but what you really don't want to happen is accidentally inhaling the gas that formed inside the case due to the decay of radium. Some time ago in this forum it has been said, that inhaling that makes smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day look healthy...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information