Endura Telemeter

Thread: Endura Telemeter

Endura Telemeter

This watch caught my eye, but I don't if its well-worth it. The description reads as follows; Vintage Endura chronograph telemeter watch; crystal has a crack on the edge and needs to be replaced. Watch winds and runs, stop watch works great. There is a problem with the mainspring, it can only be wound about half way and then it slips. It Seems to only run for 8 Hrs. I have never purchased a vintage, but I like to get into the game.

What do you all think?

Would you say I have a plethora of watches?

Re: Endura Telemeter

Hi -

The dial is in great shape, but I'm hesitant. Can't exactly put my finger on it, but there are some reasons.

First, Endura is NOT in Shugart's Complete Price Guide to Watches (at least not the 2005 edition...), which in and of itself doesn't mean all that much - there are more watches out there than exist in Shugart - but is a strike against the acquisition.

Second, the problem with the mainspring is severe: the "slipping" means that the anchoring of the mainspring in the mainspring barrel has a problem, and that means a complete disassembly to deal with this problem. That's gonna cost you some money, depending also on finding someone to work on it for you.

Third, those subdials are strangely located. Most chronograph movements have more aesthetically balanced location for those subdials, and these are asymmetric.

They remind me of the location of subdials on Sorna chronos, which came from the 1970s and had some very funky movements inside.

What bothers me is also the lack of a picture of the movement itself. While not everyone is willing to open the watches they sell, this bothers me (always) and I often ask the seller what movement is inside.

Whenever you buy on eBay, you always need to buy the seller. He's got several odd-ball watches on sale, as well as several completely disassembled (!?). His starting price is actually very high: he will be lucky to sell the disassembled watches for that price ($50 for a disassembled Seiko diver? I'd pay $5 tops...who knows what is missing and why it's disassembled?).

On the other hand, he *does* have 100% positive, and he's been with eBay since 1997, meaning that he is long-term, albeit slow, seller. That's a plus.

But considering that this is your first vintage, consider this: when you get a vintage, you are buying a piece of history, one that you don't really know. You don't know when it was last serviced, what the real state of the watch is, and whether you are buying an undervalued masterpiece or an overvalued POS.

For your *first* vintage, go for something mainstream, such as a Bulova, Elgin or Benrus, something which can be relatively easily serviced. Those are American brands, but certainly vintage Swiss such as Tissot, Omega and the like are the same: you can get parts and most good qualified watchmakers can work on them without first having to research how the movement works and where it should be oiled, etc.

Stay away from inexpensive mass-movement watches such as Seiko and Timex: they make very robust watches, but at the end of the day any major repair will probably cost more than the watch is worth, unless it has special sentimental meaning for you (which it probably won't). Don't get me wrong: both are great watches and I own several of both, but when they're broken, I won't be spending a lot to get them fixed.

Go instead for a quality vintage, one that has a really good movement in it, such as from Bulova, Elgin, Omega, etc. You'll find plenty of them on eBay, but I'd recommend finding a watchmaker first and then figuring out what you want to get. More than half of the fun with vintages is finding a particular one that you want and then comes the chase, finding it at a price you are willing to pay.

I buy a lot on eBay, but when it comes to higher-level vintages, such as an Omega, I'd consider finding a watchmaker who is selling one, as you will have a better history of how it's been worked on, etc. You will pay a tad more, but you'll also have a 50-year old watch that has should be properly taken care of, rather than taking the lottery of hoping that the 50-year old watch is a) not a fake, b) been taken care of and c) that the seller is not deliberately or accidently misrepresenting the qualities of the watch.

Good luck hunting...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I would stay away! The dial's condition does simply not suit to that of the case. The watch has obviously be relumed and the dial looks like a kind of a reprint for me, which isn't something bad by itself, but if you consider as well the things John mentioned before, better stay away. I'm pretty sure, you'll find a low-end movement in that watch. Probably something similar to the FE-Movements.
    However, if you're totally attracted by the design...
    But keep in mind, that there're for sure better quality watches out with a very similar design.

Greets,

Axel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

John & Axel thank you for the hindsight before I pulled the trigger and got myself into a heap of trouble. As a watch novice I still have a lot to learn. I was going purely for appearance and it having a chronograph movement.
    Its guys like you that makes this forum great. Thanks. :gold
    Would you say I have a plethora of watches?

Thread Information