Enicar with California dial ?!? My first Enicar, did I get duped ???
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Enicar with California dial ?!? My first Enicar, did I get duped ???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Enicar with California dial ?!? My first Enicar, did I get duped ???

So I recently bid on and won an odd creature off of Ebay, item # 140733763841.

RARE VINTAGE SWISS "ENICAR STAR JEWELS" WATCH!!...NR!! | eBay

It is a funny beast as my review of Enicar 140-39-05A does not show any California dials that I could find anywhere online. In addition it seems that typically the star jewels line had different hands and even a different case shape. I'm actually surprised that these guys managed to find a case that would fit the otherwise genuine appearing caseback. I've e-mailed the seller for more specifics.

Typically I expected it to look like this :

For $66 bucks it's hard to argue that it was a good deal if it actually runs but still I feel like the ebayer was vague when he mentioned that it was a "refinished dial." Typically doesn't that mean that the dial has been cleaned up or even relumed and repainted as opposed to completely replaced with something totally fake?

I'm confused here as I'm no expert on this line of watches and was drawn in by this particular dial but hopefully any of you experts can help me clear it up.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Enicar with California dial ?!? My first Enicar, did I get duped ???

Redialed for sure. In my opinion Enicar has never used a so called California dial

Quote Originally Posted by bubba48 View Post
    Redialed for sure. In my opinion Enicar has never used a so called California dial
    bubba, could you clarify for me what it means to be "refinished" versus "redialed" I assume the former utilizes the original dial where as the latter is a complete replacement of a non-OEM product.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Refinished, refurbished, restored, redialed are often used as synonym.
    The dial (a disk of brass) may be original, but the graphic has been redone, repainted as in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by civic4982 View Post
    bubba, could you clarify for me what it means to be "refinished" versus "redialed" I assume the former utilizes the original dial where as the latter is a complete replacement of a non-OEM product.
    No official definition of the terms. In my estimation, though, a strict interpretation of "refinished" is that the original dial design has been repainted, whereas a "redialed" is that a new and possibly nonauthentic design is used. In conversation though, "redial" is used among collectors indiscriminately to refer to both. "Refinished" sounds a bit more genteel though, and I see it being used principally as a dealer's euphemism.

In this case, I believe the dial is a completely inauthentic design. If you look at this seller's stock currently on sale, you will see a Tissot, a Zenith Sporto and a Tudor small rose as well as a few others with dials that share the same characteristics - black dial, heavy lume and white text which is not particularly crisp. In addition, none of these has the slightest sign of age.
    redcow likes this.

It seems I am the sucker indeed lol... Oh well, you live and you learn. $66 isn't such an expensive lesson to learn.

Vinh

Vinh, exactly right, that's tuition. All of us have paid more or less of it along the way.

Hi there,

the dial is typical Mumbai junk. They have a couple of patterns, and use them for every brand. Of course most are black, because this covers the old dial easiest, and because people love black dials.

A pitty that most watches of this origin have seriously corroded movements. Terrible dial + rusty movement, no dream team, but a good method to learn the hard way.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; April 15th, 2012 at 18:50.
    redcow likes this.

BTW, if you look at the top of the case and lugs, the case seems to miss a bezel.
    Best regards, Mike

Hopefully I've gotten a working movement.... Regardless of the dial I'm hoping for the best so far as its heart is concerned. I'll just have to go hunting for adopter dial the I suppose.

Thanks for the expertise folks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information