Enicar Sherpa 600 GMT Needs Full Service...Movement Replacement Question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Enicar Sherpa 600 GMT Needs Full Service...Movement Replacement Question

Enicar Sherpa 600 GMT Needs Full Service...Movement Replacement Question

I just bought a 1969 vintage Enicar Sherpa Guide GMT...The watch is in in good cosmetic condition, but, the hands do not set properly. The movement winds OK and ticks fine...when I pull the crown to set the watch it does not engage the hands...I have bought another Enicar automatic movement, Cal. 167 and I am wondering if it will fit as a replacement for the original AR 1146?

Regards Jeff Smith, Canada

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Enicar Sherpa 600 GMT Needs Full Service...Movement Replacement Question

Why do you want to frankenise the watch? Can't you get the right parts for the original?

As for the movement swap, it is a bit of a gamble. The movement height of the 167 is greater and it lacks the GMT function (or do you have a Cal. 166?!). Several parts will fit both but e.g. the mainspring is different. This might have implications for the entire movement and its compatibility with the other one.

Hartmut Richter
    hns-panama likes this.

I agree with fixing it might be a better option. Not sure if you have the tools or experience, but I would think removing the hands and dial may expose what the problem is.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Let's put it like this.....if your car developed a miss would you immediately change the whole engine, or would you try to find out what was wrong first? Don't go swapping movements around unless there's just no other option. You'll ruin the value of your watch if you do.

as i have one of these from early 60s i had a similar problem. [it is currently on my waitlist for service. in fact-i have two sherpa's, one a sherpa 600 date and they both have what i rhink are pinion problems)
    i am just guessing but the issue is with either the winding stem (which seem to be pretty loose on these old sherpa guides) or the center pinion has become loose. either way i would just get the watch serviced and not mess with switching out movements which is likely to be not much less then the service. with sherpa guide gmt's in todays market cosmetics is everything. if you have the gmt bezel and the inner red/yellowish ring, 2 signed enicar crowns and a decent looking case with a working 24hr inner bezel you have the components which make these models so desirable. i think the prices have jumped almost 10x in the last 7 years. anyway-i believe the movement parts are not hard to source. it is the inner/outer bezels with the city pointer ring that are nearly impossible to source. good luck
    Last edited by DaBaeker; February 28th, 2016 at 01:17.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......