Enicar Sherpa Graph 300
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Enicar Sherpa Graph 300

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Enicar Sherpa Graph 300

So first of, HELLO! I am new here and was excited to find a cool watch forum. While I have been fascinated by wrist watches my entire life, its only recently that I have really gotten into them and considered myself starting a "collection".

One of the watches that I have is a Enicar Sherpa Graph 300. I am looking into having it restored. I didnt really know what I had until a few months back. I have owned the watch for about 18 years. Its basically sat in a jewelry box. My grandfather had purchased it new here in the states sometime around the late 60's I think. He lost it in the early 80's. Turns out that I found it about 10 years later IN THE GROUND in the front of my house. I cleaned it off and then wound it up and it kept time perfect! Imagine that 10 years in the ground and started right back up. The original leather watch band was shot but at least the watch was in good shape.

So I have kept the watch safe ever since. It means a lot to me knowing it was my grandfathers watch. I have read the history on the Enicar watches and I think its pretty interesting.

So I guess my question to those here with alot more knowledge then I is this...what do you think this watch is worth? (not looking to sell, just curious). Also does anyone know anywhere in the NY (united states) area that can restore this watch?

The crystal could really be polished and the only issue with it is the 3 oclock marker is lose inside the watch as you can probably tell from the pictures.... But you can still read everything that was engraved into the back of the watch, all the numbers, etc.

Anyhow thank you for your time and I really appreciate all the feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by awdpsi; October 28th, 2011 at 06:15.

Goodness!

First, we don't do valuations here, please read the sticky message at the top of the forum as to why.

That said, that watch, in good working order and better shape, does sell for a price over $1500 in my experience. If I remember correctly, it has a Valjoux 23 inside,one of the really good vintage chronograph movements. These do sell on ebay in Germany (albeit in better cosmetic shape) for over $2500!

Given its history, it really needs to make an appointment with a good watchmaker to ensure that it has a proper cleaning and oiling. Plea don't use it until that is done, since being exposed to the elements as it has been (with winter freezes and summer heats!) Probably means that lubrication is a problem and you could seriously damage the movement. There is a sticky message pointing to where to find a watchmaker at the top of the forum. Please DON'T take it to a jeweler or a mall watch shop, they would just farm the work out and charge you double...

Sent from my Acer Iconia using TapaTalk...
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Re: Enicar Sherpa Graph 300

Great watch, definitely on my list.
    The hour and minute hands do not look original - the originals are thin metal with discrete lume paddles. Similarly the subdial hands appear to have been replaced - note the varying lengths. Everything else looks good - would be good to see a picture of the movement.
    The replaced hands will negatively impact value, but I would think it would be well worth cleaning up.
    Less is more when it comes to restoring a piece like this - new crystal and movement service ought to do it.
    Last edited by LouS; October 28th, 2011 at 14:46.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum, I would not go full on restore for that, looks in decent condition, like said a good watchguy to give it a full service should be good enough.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Full agreement on that. If it were something you'd picked up in a store and you wanted it to look new, or if it looked shabby, then why not. But this watch has personal history and a restoration could erase that.

Hello from Germany. Great watch, congratulation. It has the very famous Valjoux 72 movement inside (not the 23 one). It is the same movement that is working in a Rolex Daytona. Anyway, I have the same watch and my watchmaker was very excited the last time he opened it and saw this beautiful movement. I also agree with the other guys here only to give this watch a good service. That could be expensive enough.
    The prices for a Sherpa Graph varies between 700€ and 1200€ depending on the condition. Here is a picture of mine in another colourway.Name:  Sherpa_Graph.jpeg
Views: 6168
Size:  94.9 KB

Great story and an excellent heirloom watch.
    I agree that this watch only needs a service and perhaps a new crystal, looks good to me.

Thank you everyone! It was great to hear all your points. I will be looking for a good watch maker. Ebby I must say in white I really think your watch looks fantastic.

Where do you sources parts like a new crystal, dial, and hands for this watch? I would imagine that stuff takes sourcing. However I will stop the watch and leave it be until I get a good watch maker to look at it.

I really dont care about the value to sell, I really just wanted it for a reference to know how much it would be worth spending on having it serviced and etc.

Anyhow thank you sooo much for everyones input.

Scott

yes, an excellent watch in its own right, but that it was your grandfathers- superb! That was a watch that wanted to be found and kept in the family. It was my grandfathers watch that began my journey into vintage.
    I've got a very good watchmaker, if you would like his info just PM me. He's worked on a couple of my Valjoux 72/ 72C watches
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    The hour and minute hands do not look original - the originals are thin metal with discrete lume paddles. Similarly the subdial hands appear to have been replaced - note the varying lengths.
    I am correcting myself on the issue of the originality of the hands. I have found some catalog pics to suggest that this might be an original handset, along with the ones that I was describing. This handset appears to be a later version.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information