Is this Enicar Sherpa Guide 33 real?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is this Enicar Sherpa Guide 33 real?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this Enicar Sherpa Guide 33 real?

What do you guys think of this watch? Is it the Enicar Sherpa Guide Mark II 33 or a fake as I haven't seen a a Guide 33 with this hand combination.

Thanks,

Steven.

Re: Is this Enicar Sherpa Guide 33 real?

Did you read this: https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...dels#heading22

Your handset looks quite similar to the first few examples shown in the Mark II Guide 33 section. Unfortunately, I can't read the case-back reference on your watch, and I'd want to check it carefully, since these backs are often swapped.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Okay thanks! at $600USD do you think I overpaid for this watch? How much will a service for a Sherpa Guide generally cost?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like you did well at $ 600 if
    1. The movement is correct and working well. These Enicar auto movements can still run fantastically accurate after 50 years.
    2. If that's a genuine Enicar beads of rice bracelet.
    3. If the difficult to find red aluminium ring is not broken and turns smoothly.
    4. If the date changes correctly for every day in the month without 'encouragement '.
    5. If the date quick change works correctly for every day in the month, by changing the date manually then back to 8.00 , forward to 12.00 , back to 8.00 etc.
    The big piano tuning fork hour and minute hands have lost their lume ( quite normal ) but doesn't matter because the hour and minute hands lume won't work anyway.
    Your images are quite large and the watch looks well used and a trifle rough but I bet it looks much better on the wrist or coffee table - These Enicar's were never safe queens
    Did you know that this site has an informative Enicar thread ? Might be worth investigating if you have 5 minutes to spare.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/joy...es-726015.html
    badbackdan likes this.
    Miles Kingston
    'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.'

Lady Astor to Churchill - 'If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea'
    Churchill to Lady Astor – 'If you were my wife I'd drink it !

Quote Originally Posted by kazrich View Post
    Looks like you did well at $ 600 if
    1. The movement is correct and working well. These Enicar auto movements can still run fantastically accurate after 50 years.
    2. If that's a genuine Enicar beads of rice bracelet.
    3. If the difficult to find red aluminium ring is not broken and turns smoothly.
    4. If the date changes correctly for every day in the month without 'encouragement '.
    5. If the date quick change works correctly for every day in the month, by changing the date manually then back to 8.00 , forward to 12.00 , back to 8.00 etc.
    The big piano tuning fork hour and minute hands have lost their lume ( quite normal ) but doesn't matter because the hour and minute hands lume won't work anyway.
    Your images are quite large and the watch looks well used and a trifle rough but I bet it looks much better on the wrist or coffee table - These Enicar's were never safe queens
    Did you know that this site has an informative Enicar thread ? Might be worth investigating if you have 5 minutes to spare.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/joy...es-726015.html
    Thanks for the link! I have been reading through that thread the last few days. Im still waiting for the watch to come into my possession, lucky the seller has 30 day return policy so i'll check out all the things you said when I get it in hand. Also forgot to mention that one of the crowns is damaged, not sure how I'll get a replacement. Would you replace it with an aftermarket crown or would you just leave it? Also, how do you change the GMT hand?

kazrich likes this.

These crowns show up on eBay from time to time. If you don't know how to change a hand, I suggest you leave it to your watchmaker. Although, actually, I don't recommend changing it at all.
    kazrich likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shdl83 View Post
    Also, how do you change the GMT hand?

Your GMT hand is the needle style hand with a red tip and it looks correct for your watch so don't change it.
    You can't change the reading of the GMT hand independently because it works in synchro with the hour hand. You set the revised GMT ( + or - hours ) via the top crown.
    If for example you lived in the UK, at 12.00 o clock both the tuning fork hour hand and the red tipped needle hands should both sit at 12.00 ( 24 GMT ). If you travelled to a country
    that was 1 hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time , you turn the outer dial ( via the top crown ) to one and stop using the tuning fork hour hand to tell the hour. You now use the red tip needle as the hour hand.
    When you arrive back in the UK the tuning fork hour hand will still show correct UK time without requiring adjustment ( that's why pilots love them )
    If when you receive the watch both hands don't sit at 12.00 and 24 together you will need a watchmaker to open the case and tighten the hands. Don't try this yourself.
    Miles Kingston

Quote Originally Posted by kazrich View Post
    Your GMT hand is the needle style hand with a red tip and it looks correct for your watch so don't change it.
    You can't change the reading of the GMT hand independently because it works in synchro with the hour hand. You set the revised GMT ( + or - hours ) via the top crown.
    If for example you lived in the UK, at 12.00 o clock both the tuning fork hour hand and the red tipped needle hands should both sit at 12.00 ( 24 GMT ). If you travelled to a country
    that was 1 hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time , you turn the outer dial ( via the top crown ) to one and stop using the tuning fork hour hand to tell the hour. You now use the red tip needle as the hour hand.
    When you arrive back in the UK the tuning fork hour hand will still show correct UK time without requiring adjustment ( that's why pilots love them )
    If when you receive the watch both hands don't sit at 12.00 and 24 together you will need a watchmaker to open the case and tighten the hands. Don't try this yourself.
    This is great advice and information. However, in looking at his photos, it seems as if the GMT hand and the other hands are already well-synchronized.

Yep, agreed they do , but we can't be sure when the pics were taken so best to check when the watch arrives because
    The GMT hand can slip after time . That's what happened to the chequered flag GMT hand on my first Super Jet. It was
    A quick fix for my watchmaker.
    Miles Kingston

So I've received the watch and it was running extremely quick at around + 3hrs/day.

I took the watch to a watchmaker and he says the movement is in okay condition but the hairspring has been damaged. Also the bezel requires a new spring as it doesn't turn too smoothly however he quoted me around 300USD to have to repaired and serviced and have it keeping time again. He however said the bezel will mostly likely not be like new again as parts are near impossible to source for this watch.

Do you guys think I should go ahead with the service or is it better to just return the entire watch for a full refund?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information