Enicar Sherpa Super Divette
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Enicar Sherpa Super Divette

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Enicar Sherpa Super Divette

This is for Marrick.

Earlier this month my appetite on Enicar was triggered again by wearing my 33 jeweled Sherpa date and in general looking around in a vintage Enicar thread.

The Sherpa models are Enicars nicest line (so do I believe), but many of them are simply too big for my taste - which in the end is very good for me and my purse. I do prefer a size of up to 38mm - my favourite watches are all between 34 and 36mm actually.

This preference did also in general keep me from getting the "I need some expensive diver watch virus", another serious threat to monetary health. However, the Super Divette has a nice size of 36 mm. It also has an "inner diver bezel", that can be operated by the second, upper crown. Unfortunately, they don't show up on ebay too often, and anyways - I can never wait.

So I bought one early December - in accordance with the description, it had been mainained just 6 months ago, getting a new glass and having some wheels replaced. My assumption upon reading that, was that the whole movement had been serviced, but... first the sales pics:

What a nice box...
    Here the watch and the parts replaced:

It was actually visible, that the date was kind of sitting in the bottom of the date window:

but: I thought this was due to the camera position. Little did I know...

The rest:

So, after arrival, it became visible that the date was actually sitting askew. Well, strange, thought I, and took it to my watchmaker. He also found out, that while parts might have been replaced, the movement had not been cleaned properly. So I left it there, also in order to have the lume on the hands repainted, and to look at the dial and the glass, that kind of showed a strange shade at the bottom.

He gave me a call the next day...

1. The dial had obviously lost its feet at some point in time. So "someone" had taken some glue to fix it to the movement, unfortunately not getting it straight, thus explaining the hanging date...
    2. The mainspring barrel lower bearing (a pin sitting in a hole of the plate, or so) was worn out.
    3. The glass had some kind of burr at the bottom - that was a minor one, but finally proves the lack of dedication and/or skills of that particular watch repair person...

My watchmaker did a fantastic job though, and the watch really turned out nice. He repaired the barrel bearing by drilling a bigger whole into the plate and setting a jewel as lower bearing. Anyways, the watch runs perfectly now. The movement is an AR 1145, now with 25 jewels instead of 24. Hands got some lume, too, even in a color fitting to the otherwise well preserved dial.

Re: Enicar Sherpa Super Divette

Wow - you did well to find a watchmaker interested enough to sort it out properly.

That's a fine looking watch. Not cheap, no doubt, but a rare and impressive piece.

Thank you for taking the time to post such a full piece about it.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi -

I am a big fan on Enicar as well, and am working on a Sherpa Guide as my everyday watch. I've got that one, a battered and largely derelict OPS (black case) and several dress watches of theirs as well.

What is particularly appealing is their clear design, some of the best of the 1970s design era of any watch, very clean, very modern...and the movements are absolutely first rate. The case design was very good, a bayonet design that generally ensures a very tight fit with relatively little precision machining (unlike a screw-down back, which is heavily dependent on the quality of the thread machining to get a really solid and tight fit, which can be seriously endangered by cross-threading).

The internal bezel movement design is fairly simple, but if they break, be prepared for a fairly heavy repair bill, as replacement parts are darned hard to find. There is also a tendency for the lacquer used for the dial to bond to the back of the internal bezel (that's the problem I have with my OPS), making removal a very tedious job (when the watch is disassembled, this prevents you from removing the movement, as the internal bezel fits under the crystal and you have to remove the crystal before removing the bezel, which normally just rests there, kept in place by the internal gearing to turn it) or meaning you have to replace both the dial and the internal bezel because you have to basically break the bond between the dial and the internal bezel. Happens primarily when the watch spent a long time in very hot climates (my OPS came from Australia, where a retired soldier wore it daily in the outback without ever having it worked on...), leading to a chemical bond between the two.

Haven't gotten them apart so far...but then again, I haven't been trying too much before I source replacement dials and bezels. Easier said than done, but I will admit it's not that high on the priority list...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Marrick, thanks!
    I have been carrying watches to my watchmaker for more than 3 years now. He is really getting better and better. I don't mean about movements, he was really good and quite inventive on those to start with, once getting a pretty rusted Omega 1022 back to life (and it is running in chronometer precision now). But he recently started to work on the cases, too, and did a really nice job on a Tissot PR 526 GL lately - I can maybe post it later, but need to take pictures first. If You are interested in the price I can send You a PM. It was not too expensive, actually.

John, on my watch the internal bezel was not sticking, but it seems I have been lucky then. Overall, the dial and the bezel are in pretty good condition - that was what troubled me most, and the hands. They are practically impossible to get.
    The mechanism of the internal bezel is indeed pretty simple... but it is running smooth, and I am not going to use it too often anyways .

The Sherpa Guide and Jet and Graph and whatever seem all to have this huge case of 40mm diameter - I really like their looks and the GMT feature on some of them, but I wouldn't wear them anyways. So I hope I will be able to resist the urge to go hunting - they are all extremely expensive, when in good shape. This one was still ok, though I had hoped not to have to have it serviced immediately: I normally calculate the cost of service into any watch I buy. That's why I am one of the watchmakers best friends, I guess...

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Did you leave the dial glued to the movement? In one edition of "ArmbandUhren", they presented a Tissot chronograph from 1984 (olympic special edition) with broken dial feet. That one was repaired by soldering new pins on - but the bill for that alone was in excess of 100 Euros (closer to 200, if my memory serves me right).

One thing I noticed as an Enicar design speciality (the only other time I have seen it is in an Enicar wrist alarm with the Lemania Cal. 2980 - the same one as in the Omega Memomatic but without the minute accurate alarm setting) is the exact positioning of the lume spots. In the dark, they form a perfect rhombus!

Hartmut Richter

Hi Hartmut,
    it was taken off and glued back on, if I understood my watchmaker correctly. When You solder it, I believe, it will have to be repainted due to the temperature!?

Great post, great watch. Enicar made a consistently attractive variety of sport watches - much underrated IMO.

congrats on your super divette it is a great watch. Your watchmaker has done a fantastic job.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Would anyone know where I could get an inner dial for a Sherpa Jet GMT?

Bill
    [email protected]

Follow up:
    In the meantime I have gotten the damaged date ring replaced also. At that occasion I asked my watchmaker to adjust the dial a bit again, since it was still askew - looking perfectly now.
    This is how it looked like, You can see the damage at 17- 21.

The reason why I bought the watch carrying the spare date ring was, that I needed some wheels of the automatic bridge for this one:

I just love it. 36mm, looking gorgous!
    ckot and Stigmata like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information