• 9 Post By skridlov
  • 2 Post By SilkeN
  • 1 Post By SilkeN
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Eszeha silver travel alarm

Inactive

Eszeha silver travel alarm

Not normally something that would appeal to me but this is a bit of a beauty - alarm function currently not working but otherwise in excellent shape. Eszeha is brand I've heard of but know little about so far. Next I'll trudge through a Paulson catalog trying to identify the movement. I may have paid a bit too much for it as I don't think that these travel clocks appeal to many people. But it's pretty attractive.
    Roy

Name:  eSZEHA-tw-6200010.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  2.30 MB

Name:  eSZEHA-tw-6200005.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  2.78 MB

Name:  eSZEHA-tw-6200004.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  2.50 MB

Name:  eSZEHA-tw-6200003.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  2.49 MB
    SilkeN, busmatt, joeuk and 6 others like this.

Re: Eszeha silver travel alarm

Very nice a tone ring with hammer and not a simple bell cover . The hole movement looks worthy. Which size has this treasure. I like the siver case very much.

Congradulations to your purchase and don't think about a price just enjoy

regards Silke
    busmatt and mkws like this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Inactive

The movement measures 39.15mm which I make about 17.35'''. I just UC cleaned the case and am now in a bit of a quandry whether to have a go at fixing it myself or spending some money on it.
    Roy

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmm..a pocket watch movement as I thought. I'd seen it before but I don't know when and where... I can't assign. Let's search. Definetly no Voland, Angelus, HP...so many nice movements with tone ring and one springhouse don't excist. ..any hints in diretion of France ?? I on't know anything about Eszeha who is most likely not the manufacturer.

Regards Silke

Sorry : Eszeha is brand of a German Etabilsseur in Pforzheim and definetly no maker of movemnts
    Last edited by SilkeN; June 20th, 2017 at 21:28.
    mkws likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Congrats on such a nice travel alarm clock, I can remember these when I was younger(dont know the make) but it was in a blue case and not as nice of a movement like yours.

Inactive

Nothing resembling this movement in the Paulson. Few hits on Eszeha travel alarm clocks and certainly nothing this nice. The movements in the ones I've seen look under 13''' to me and more like familiar WW1 wristwatches. Anyone like to hazard a guess on the period? There are some marks on the silver but it obviously wasn't a British import othewise it would be easy to date. All I can see is a Crown logo and a serial number in the inside case and on one edge "ESZEHA", "SE6" (although the font is so strange that the latter's a guess), and "DRGM".
    Silly name, Eszeha, really; if I started a brand I'd have the equivalent "Areohwhy".
    Roy
    Last edited by skridlov; June 20th, 2017 at 22:19. Reason: confused WW1 & 2...

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

"Eszeha" is the phonetic version of the German letters S-C-H. That is the first three letters of Scheufele, the owners of the company. In a way, it is very much in the vein of Eska (phonetic S-K, for Sylvan Kocher). The Scheufele family had this brand before they took over Chopard, which they still own and run.

Probably the most (in)famous Eszeha watch in history was presented a few years back. It is a platinum ladies' watch from the 1930s which, as shown by the inscription on the back, was given to Eva Braun by Adolf You-know-who (I think the autocensor wipes his name here) for her birthday. It was auctioned a few years ago and made it into the media.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/wha...ds-810791.html

Hartmut Richter
    esdy_11192 likes this.

Inactive

Thanks Hartmut.
    My joke fell upon deaf eyes it seems "Roy" = "Areohwhy". As you probably realise, English humour is no laughing matter. I was going to draw a parallel with Dmitri Shostakovich's use of the signature DSCH motif in many of his works, and now I'm glad I didn't do that.

Any ideas on the period? Or the movement? Superficially it looks like one of the underwhelming movements I've encountered in some otherwise rather beautiful pieces. I have a Tiffany travel/pocket watch with really crummy looking movement.

I wasn't aware of the celebrated (?) example of Eszeha you mention. If my alarm clock only had an inscription such as "To Traudl, for being such a reliable typist, The Boss" I'd be able to enjoy my retirement in some style. Still, I know a good engraver although I'm not sure about his linguistic abilities. Fortunately there's Google Translate.

Roy

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Sorry, I don't know who made that movement either. I think it only looks underwhelming since it has a 2/3 plate that covers most of the details. Also, it could do with some more jewels in the alarm mechanism. Age? The earliest it could be is 1904 (when ESZEHA were founded) but I would think that it is a little later. Here's another one and they think it's 1915 (but these estimates can be a little vague). I personally would have said 1920s. As a rule, the post WWII alarms had central alarm hands so I would definitely say that it's inter-war or a little earlier.

Hartmut Richter
    skridlov likes this.

Inactive

Thanks Hartmut.
    I may get someone to service it whilst sorting out the alarm/winding problem which may reveal a signature on the dial plate. If so I'll post the results.
    Roy

Thread Information