ETA 2873 and a Sportline brand watch

Thread: ETA 2873 and a Sportline brand watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ETA 2873 and a Sportline brand watch

Hi,

I found a Sportline watch with a well finished 25 jewels ETA automatic 2873 movement inside. I checked Roland's movement data and found that ETA 2873 is a manual movement. How come?

The watch has a bracelet that is also signed Sportline, and the caseback is also signed sportline. The watch looks like an early Rolex submariner and it has a Rolex crown. This watch is extremely accurate that I usually adjust time after a couple of weeks.Could this be a Rolex watch with a re-finished ETA movement and a new brand name?

Has anyone heard about this watch ?

Thanks.

Zhang

Re: ETA 2873 and a Sportline brand watch

Hi -

Are you sure that it is a 2873? The ETA 2878 - the 8 may look like a 3 - is an automatic (see, of course, Ranfft ).

The early 2873s have 25 jewels and use a KIF Trior shock absorbing system, rather than the usual Incabloc.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

Are you sure that it is a 2873? The ETA 2878 - the 8 may look like a 3 - is an automatic (see, of course, Ranfft ).

The early 2873s have 25 jewels and use a KIF Trior shock absorbing system, rather than the usual Incabloc.

JohnF

It is indeed a 2873, but with two letters "CD" above the number.I will take an image FYI later. So there is an ealry 25j 2873? I think you may tell if it a KIF shock absorber from the image?

Zhang

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

My typo! It's an early 2878 which has 25 jewels, not the 2873, which is a manual wind calibre...

You find the most unusual things!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Hi JohnF,

Here are the images FYI. I suspect that it might have a mis-engraved model number? It looks like the ETA 2878, but with gold colour. On the inner side of the caseback, there are words" Swiss Cross" and a number.Any idea who made this watch?

Kind Regards

Zhang
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi -

A tad hard to read, but the engraving really looks like a 2878 to me. GD = Gold double = gold plating?

Not sure. Interesting...

Woud tend to identifying it as a mass-product OEM watch made for the Chinese market, much as MillionSmart produces for the rest of the world today.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

A tad hard to read, but the engraving really looks like a 2878 to me. GD = Gold double = gold plating?

Not sure. Interesting...

Woud tend to identifying it as a mass-product OEM watch made for the Chinese market, much as MillionSmart produces for the rest of the world today.

JohnF
    JohnF, I am sure the number is 2873. And it was a CD above the number.
    So it maybe like a mis-printed banknote. It becomes more collectable for the wrong number? I think the gold colour and finish indicate it as a higher grade movement? This watch has a chronometer accuracy.

Cheers,

Zhang

Hi JohnF,

Another surprise! I checked my old RADO and found that it has an ETA 2872 17 jewels automatic movement, and there are two letters CW above the 2872 number. There could be some connection between the two?

Zhang

Hi -

Very bizarre: the late model ETA 2878s have 17 jewels (from ca 1985), whereas the early models have 25 (ca 1975-1980) and from ca 1980-1985 there was a 21 jewel movement.

Very strange indeed. The only thing I can think of is that the automatic winding mechanism is a module attached to the 2872 or 2873, making it a 2878, but without having one of each to play with, hard to tell...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I still suspect the watch might be a less known Rolex product or someone assembled them with Rolex parts and like Tudor with an ETA movement.

Zhang

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information