ETA 6497 Assembly and Disassembly (link)

Thread: ETA 6497 Assembly and Disassembly (link)

ETA 6497 Assembly and Disassembly (link)

I thought that this was an interesting find. 6947 I don't know if you guys have this on file somewhere, but I thought I'd bring it up. It seems to me a perfect visual tutorial on the complete assembly and disassembly process. it even tells you where to oil it, and with what type of oil to use. I've been looking at different movements within my budget that'll give me a good reliable watch, and I found some very favorable information about this little number. Is it really all it's cracked up to be? If I do purchase this movement, I'm not planning on taking it apart. I just thought it was an interesting link. I'm really starting to appreciate a good movement, and I think this is supposed to be a good reliable one.

I hope to find a pocket-watch case eventually for it, if I do end up buying it. I think my current watch will do just fine for now, but the back and forth that goes on here on this site got me thinking about customizing a watch for myself. I know that it wouldn't have any collector value, but the idea intrigues me. They have them for sale on that link in one of the recent threads here. It was for that Time Zone Watch School. The lessons looked pretty interesting too. I might do the first lesson with this purchase; I'm not sure yet. It would give me some much needed time around the inside of a watch though. Well, it sounds pretty fascinating anyway. I wonder if anyone here has attended, and if so, is it just take apart and put together for the first lesson, or it it theory as well?

I have that pocket watch that I recently purchased, and it'll do just fine I'm sure, but it does sound awfully tempting. I've been thinking about "building" myself the perfect pocket-watch. What I wanted in the first place by buying that other watch was a reliable piece that will give me years of service. It'd be fun to put together my own with that criteria in mind though.

Am I trying to chew off too much? I think it could be done fairly easily right? The movement is brand new, and all I would have to do is find the case, crown, dial and crystal, right? I'm thinking that it would be a good starter project to get me a bit more familiar with watches, besides that Time Zone school, or maybe along side it. I'm not in a rush with this either, as I have the aforementioned recently purchased pocket-watch to use.

What do you think of that link though? Pretty neat, huh? Complete assembly and disassembly, cool.

Re: ETA 6497 Assembly and Disassembly (link)

Looks like a nice choice of movement to learn about watches.

The watchmaking forum is a good place for advice on making custom watches by marrying
    parts available on the current market.

Radger, you seem to know a lot about these things, given your posts, so I'll take your word for it on the movement. So far that I've seen, it has a good reputation and there's plenty of information around to get to know it better.

I'll be sure to visit the watchmaking forum when I get the movement in. I've browsed some of the threads there, and it seems like a really great place to learn.

Fun stuff coming up! I'm going to put together a watch! Boom!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the link, placed it in fav bar. This is another link for you on servicing a seiko watch How to repair a Seiko 7S26 Automatic wrist watch. Like readge said the watchmaking forum would be a great place to start and keep us posted if you do make your own custom watch.

Joeuk, I like the link. The guy really seems to take the craft very seriously. I like his style. It made me smile to read some of his preface writing.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated when I start putting this thing together. Should be cool! I think I found a nicer model than from that school. It's supposed to be an upgraded version of it. I'll start a thread when I get it in.

Thread Information